Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Drop charts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

Drop charts

Had a strange experience at the range today.
Working up drop charts for my 6.5x.284. Berger 140 gr. 2930 fps through them chrono during load work up, no chrono today.
Shot a golf ball sized rock at 100 yards to verify zero.
Target at 500 yards.
Dialed in 8.5 minutes from my iPhone ballistics app.
Shot high.
Dialed down to 7.5 MOA
Shot high
Dialed down to 6.5 MOA
Perfect elevation. 3 inches to the left due to wind. Compensated and the next two were 1/2" apart. My deer rifle really shoots.
My question is, to get the drops correct the velocity needs to be 3250 fps. I have never had to change my velocity this much.
Anybody else seen this?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Drop charts

I have ran into the same thing. I chonod my 300 rum @3200 for my program to hit where i have verified its hitting my adjusted speed is 3385.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

I have come to learn not to pay any attention to what the chrono says for velocity. I have been using it to get ES and SD. But everyone has their own reasons for using a chrono. Which is fine with me.

Jason
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

I too have seen this from time to time, one thing to check is how your scope is tracking.... Set up a 100yd target, now use a level to extend a perfectly strait line upwards of 30".......put a 1" target at 10", 20", and 30"....shoot the 100 yd zero, dial your scope 10MOA, shoot another ( hopefully you hit the dot 10" above) then repeat for the 20&30 MOA and see where it shoots......i have one scope that tracks 5% off meaning if I dial 10 MOA (40 clicks) I'm high on the 10MOA, if I dial 38 clicks I'm dead nuts......next take this and enter it in as your elevation correction factor in shooter and it will help......forget the .06 MOA....you won't notice .06" at must normal ranges.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
Had a strange experience at the range today.
Working up drop charts for my 6.5x.284. Berger 140 gr. 2930 fps through them chrono during load work up, no chrono today.
Shot a golf ball sized rock at 100 yards to verify zero.
Target at 500 yards.
Dialed in 8.5 minutes from my iPhone ballistics app.
Shot high.
Dialed down to 7.5 MOA
Shot high
Dialed down to 6.5 MOA
Perfect elevation. 3 inches to the left due to wind. Compensated and the next two were 1/2" apart. My deer rifle really shoots.
My question is, to get the drops correct the velocity needs to be 3250 fps. I have never had to change my velocity this much.
Anybody else seen this?
What direction was the wind coming from and was it level, rising, or falling ?

If your scope is dead on you might want to try adjusting your BC. Remeber BC's are not static, as velocity drops off so do BC's. The BC's we get from the factory specs are essentially averages based on what ever ranges they are testing the bullets at or based on what a computer program spits out.

Your Chrony, Scope, Rifle may all be dead on but the BC a bit low for the velocity you are running at the muzzle.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

Winner, the scope is a Nightforce that has been on multiple rifles with no issues before so I doubt if it has anything to do with the problem.

I am planning on going out again next week with the adjusted velocity and checking different ranges to see if it holds.

I adjusted the bc up to .700 and it didn't make much difference at such a short range.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
Winner, the scope is a Nightforce that has been on multiple rifles with no issues before so I doubt if it has anything to do with the problem.

I am planning on going out again next week with the adjusted velocity and checking different ranges to see if it holds.

I adjusted the bc up to .700 and it didn't make much difference at such a short range.
The difference at long range should be more pronounced.

I'd keep tweaking both the BC and velocity until you actual drops at 3 different ranges match up.

I like to use 200, 500, 700yds. If you can get it pretty close at three different ranges then your chart should be pretty well true at any range.