Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

DROP CHART . When EXBAL FAILS ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: DROP CHART . When EXBAL FAILS ???

What do you guys do when the RF fails? I have started trying to use ret first, before the RF to see how close i am..
Old 12-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yama49 View Post
What do you guys do when the RF fails? I have started trying to use ret first, before the RF to see how close i am..
that is what I do, with reflection, and interferance from rain snow what ever, or beam dispersion, you can experience failures with RFs. With reticle range estimation you can atleast be confident with whether or not you've got a good range. and to a point you may still be able to take the shot. It takes a lot of practice though.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
that is what I do, with reflection, and interferance from rain snow what ever, or beam dispersion, you can experience failures with RFs. With reticle range estimation you can atleast be confident with whether or not you've got a good range. and to a point you may still be able to take the shot. It takes a lot of practice though.
Yep and don't forget to have a Mil Dot Mater in your Pocket to help get the job done accurately.

Out to 600yds though I don't worry about it much, just use the known dimensions to quickly figure my holdover and pull the trigger.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yama49 View Post
I have always used scopes with ranging reticles. Stayed with them for a back up when decent rangefinders showed up. First one was a Redfield stadia type back in the 60's. I have since used Mildot types, or the calibrated reticle designs used with the power ring yardages like those on the Leupold and Huskemaw. On deer sized game I can usually get to within 25-50 yards out to 500-600 yards., my limit using a reticle to range game.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Gold Member

I just carry my new G-7 rangefinder it takes care of everything.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
I just carry my new G-7 rangefinder it takes care of everything.
Till it fails. All technology fails at some point and anything that runs on batteries is prone to frequent failures.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

using a mill or moa reticule I can do pretty good to 600 yards on moose/elk sized game, and 500 yards on deer unless they stay still for a very long time. I find the scope power selector ring/reticule bracket is the fastest, but actually punching in the numbers either mill or moa is the most accurate.

Practice in the off season with the reticule. when it comes to the hunt range, dial and let it rip.