Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

drop chart and chronograph drop chart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: drop chart and chronograph drop chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosesniper2000 View Post
+1 for Mike33
If you have 5 different Chronographs you're going to have 5 different readings even if you shoot through all 5 with the same bullet.
I went through the time and wasted money to figure this out. What matters is where the bullet actually hits. I wouldn't even mess around with the MV and just do like someone suggested and shoot at different ranges, mark your MOA's and go to work on your pc.
I'd suggest keeping with the b.c and adjust the MV to accommodate your hits, after all it's not about speed. I've found this to be a fail proof system even if the MV may sound a little off. Most guys like to publish the velocity for bragging purposes but that doesn't bother me one bit.
I just happen to use the Berger 210 in my RUM and when I tested the points of impact at various ranges, my Exbal software showed my velocity at 3090 fps, my Chrony was 85 fps off. Which do you think I'll follow?
yep... .
Old 10-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

Also Berger bullets are a tested BC not computer generated so they are nuts on as long as your shooting them around the tested muzzle velocities of 3,000 fps. Your crono, or click values, or both, are off.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

The Berger BC is almost rock solid and I would not touch it but look elsewhere. The HSM ammo I've ran out has been very close to published specs, I would be very suspicious if I had to tune it as much as you have but it could be possible. If it seems like your of about the same MOA through out the range but have to tune the velocity beyond what it should be then look at your turret adjustment value.

I set up a rifle and scope last week that was showing low at every range out to 1435, I could tune it up to be on out to about 1000yrds with velocity but then at 1435 it was not on, took everything back to the velocity I thought it should be, which the crony told me it was and tweaked my turret adjustment just .020 and ALL ranges to 1435 were spot on, not a little high then a little low but dead nuts on!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the input! what do you mean by tweaking your turrets? how do you do it? thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriverbottom View Post
Thanks guys for the input! what do you mean by tweaking your turrets? how do you do it? thanks
I think he's referring to moving his initial zero point.. .
Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

What I was referring to was changing your turret movement value in your program to match what the actual movement of the turret is. In my program I changed from .262 per click to .230 per click. Every optic needs proofed for turret movement value, it's not uncommon to have to tune it up a little.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Bronze Member

Any idea on where/how I can find my actual turret movement..Sightron 6-24x50 Slll SS??