Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Drop Cart ??? Need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Drop Cart ??? Need Help

Just re thought the drift at 1000 yds. By using inputs from my weather station SHOOTER actually used 15 mph. So I guess I must be doing it right. A little overwhelming with all these numbers when you are a newb. Thanks again I appreciate it.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

I suggest that you "SHOOT" your drop chart with YOUR rifle and BULLETS you plan on using. This will give you the bullets arc as it goes down range.

I would use a white paper or cardboard at least 4 feet high and put your 200 yd. target near the top so you can see where your longer range shots hit. Then you have all your groups on one target.

I sighted mine at a 200 yd. zero then while shooting at the "SAME" target "EACH" time at all the ranges. You need to hold your crosshairs on your 200 yd. zero for each distance then you can measure the drop from 200 yds. and then 300 yds. then 400 yds. Shoot 5 shot groups and measure down from your 200 yd. zero to the "CENTER" of each group below. This will give you the most accurate arc of "YOUR" bullet.

I only shot at 200 yds then 300 yds. then 400 yds. This gave me the arc that my bullet had going down range. I also gave the Turret maker the altitude and temperature and humidity of where I shot the target. What he did was to make the velocity and other info for their computer program match the arc ( my measured drops ) of my bullet when making my custom turret.

When I first tested the custom turret it was dead nuts accurate out to 400 yds. Later when I was able to test its accuracy at much longer range it was dead nuts accurate out to 900 yds. The 900 yd. gong was a large one. How big I'm not sure, but the 700 yd. gong was 7 inches in diameter and 3 different guys hit it almost every time shooting 5 shots each.

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: I called Vortex and spoke to Paul. He was the one that adjusted the program to make the custom turret. Great company and great customer service.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Joseph. The shooting that you describe is exactly what I am hoping to do. We are having real bad fall weather, snow, sleet and high winds. I was hoping to get a custom turret as well but think I will run out of time. This is why I will probably dial this year. With your turret how much does point of impact change with temperature changes? Was thinking of getting my turret made for around the freezing point. Most shooting is done in fall at around 30-60F. But by November it could be -20. Have always wondered if a turret would work under these temperature changes.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

I live & hunt in Georgia and hunted in North East Wyoming. Someone else here will have to answer your question about big differences in temperature.

Good luck and be safe,

joseph
Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMAN View Post
Thanks Joseph. The shooting that you describe is exactly what I am hoping to do. We are having real bad fall weather, snow, sleet and high winds. I was hoping to get a custom turret as well but think I will run out of time. This is why I will probably dial this year. With your turret how much does point of impact change with temperature changes? Was thinking of getting my turret made for around the freezing point. Most shooting is done in fall at around 30-60F. But by November it could be -20. Have always wondered if a turret would work under these temperature changes.

You might want to get a hold of this guy if your looking to a custom turret. You've already got all the info he'll need. He also seems to be more than will to to get you what you need not just a product. if nothing else you'll gain some insights and options.
Custom Turret Systems | Affordable Custom Turret Labels
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe