Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Dream Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Dream Setup

I just had one built it is a 338 Nawakwa (lapua IMP) on a Bat action http://www.batactions.com/ with a Krieger barrel in 338 10T Bruce Bear stock Nightforce scope 8x32 will be getting a 5.5x22 Jewell Varmint trigger bottom safety.

We got a mule deer in Colorado at 1850 Meters this year with the new rifle here is a link to the story http://www.longrangehunting.com/cgi-...c&f=1&t=001613

Crow Mag
Old 11-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Bronze Member

jrb co
I have finally reached the position in life (all of the kids raised and on their own) and am in the process of doing just exactly what you are talking about, and money will not be an object! I hunt elk and deer, primarily in Idaho and will be using a .338-416 Rigby wildcat. I have this rifle in an Enfield and have taken elk and moose with it and love it. This rifle will be built on a Nesika action, Lilja 32 inch #7 barrel, Jewell trigger, Sunnyhill bottom Metal, Wyatt center feed magazine box, McMillan stock, and US Optics NP-3 scope in 3.5 - 22 X 58. I do not like light rifles for long range shooting. Heavy rifles are much easier to hold on target, if you are breathing hard, you need every advantage you can get when preparing to shoot. Besides when you touch-off 119 grains of H870, recoil becomes a factor. This outfit will cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $8,000.00 and I don't care that Henry has a model A that cost $500 and out shoots anything else on the range. I have waited all my life to have a gun exactly like I want, no holds barred, and now I'm going to get it!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

jrb CO

This guy has the best FPS cases

Fiftydriver

They are in between the ultra's.

Less cass volume. I was looking at my next gun as .338 lapua with a 34 inch. I have .277 .284 ,and .458 I have used the .416 because certian countries only allow it as a small gun.

The high speed 6mm and 6.5mm are also a fun choice.

I'm a red neck from the old school and don't mind packing a gun with a 29 inch 9 pound barrel. total gun might be just under 20 with a Harris bypod and big scope. I like the fun of hunting with the guys that have the best. I don't care if i fill a tag. It's just getting out there and letting the small ones go.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Gold Member

Well, I'm gonna throw in my $.02. I like a solid (heavy) long range rifle for shooting, but I far prefer a light, accurate 5-8.5 lb rifle for hunting. Melvin Forbes, of New Ultra Light Arms makes rifles in the 5 lb range that he said will shoot around a quarter inch at 100 yds. On the heavier end of things, the 8.5-9 lb rifle fiftydriver suggests sounds much more practical than a 14-20 lb tactical outfit. One other rifle I would suggest is a Jarrett. Kenny Jarrett is known to produce some of the most consistently accurate hunting rifles available. I hunt along the contenental divide in central CO, and use a .300 Jarrett (built by Steve Branum of Bear Arms) built on a trued Rem action using a 24" #4 taper Pac-Nor barrel, with brake, that weighs 8.5 lbs with a 2.5-10 IOR tactical scope. Lately I've been using a 6.5 lb, (with Zeiss 4.5-14 Conquest), Kimber .243 for marmots and 'yotes. As long as I am tossing out my opinion let me add another thought, on caliber. How far do you realisticly expect to be shooting this rifle at game? It is my contention that a .300 mag, shooting 200 gr bullets is comfortably adequate for elk out at 5-600 yds, and maybe a bit farther. I have a 6lb 10 oz Kimber .300 WSM on the way. I think the WSM platform has great promise for the lighter rifles I seem to be moving toward.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the input guys, and keep them coming.

COBrad,

It is funny you mention those 2 rifles. When I stopped rifle hunting over a decade ago. I sold my .284 Win Ultra Light Arms and my .300 Jarrett (made by Kenny).

I was always partial to the .284, but that .300 would shoot great groups (for me) at 500 yards. So, I see myself shooting a .284 -.300 bullet, but now there are many more wilcats.

Realistically, I have never shot at any animal over 350 yards, so I do not know what my range is. But I have to admit, watching that guy on "Best of the West" hunting show shooting elk at 700+ yards kind of looks like fun.

With a lot of guys promising .5 MOA with semi custom rifles, is there much improvement with a fully custom rig?

Fiftydriver, I will drop you an email after the holidays as I want to think about this for a bit.

Brassbender, who is making your rifle?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Bronze Member

jrb CO
I am having a smith by the name of Shane Thompson, Soda Springs, Idaho built the rifle. Shane's work was featured in Rifle magazine a year or two ago, and he just finished building a 300 RUM for my son-in-law on a Nesika action, Lilja barrel and McMillan stock. Rifle looks great and so far shoots extremely well out to 1,000 yards with factory ammo. We just picked the rifle up in September, and so are still working on load development. Let me know if you need any further info.