Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Dream hunt or Car?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Dream hunt or Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I would do a hunt that would allow me to take along the family because funds may not be their in the future to go.
bigbuck's hit the nail on the head, +1.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

A fully guided and outfitted sheep hunt is quite expensive. If for some reason the hunt does not go as planned; injury, missed shot, no legal rams spotted, crappy outfitter, crappier weather. And you go home empty, that will be a lasting reminder that you did the wrong thing, you may feel some guilt at depriving the familly of those funds. 10 years down the road you may still regret the choice as your crippled up body works overtime to get the kids thru colledge. Your wife may even go so far as to demonize your hunting addiction, and turn your own children against you.

Can You live with that possibility and deal with the consequences.

THEN GO ON THE SHEEP HUNT!
Old 07-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Definitely sale the car. Don't worry about college, by the time they are old enough to go it will cost so much that there is no way you or them will be able to afford to go anyway. Go hunting! I have never hunted sheep before but I have been to Africa and I would strongly suggest going there instead of the super over priced sheep hunt. You only get to pull the trigger once on the sheep hunt, in Africa you would most likely shoot at least five animals for much less than that one sheep. Just my 2 cents

Shooting and Reloading Accessories
Custom Long Cases too.

Shoot-Long.com

" Life would be quite dull if we limited ourselves only to the practical."
Old 08-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

If your wife and kids are into hunting, take them hunting. Sounds morbid but seemingly healthy people have heart attacks or get cancer and kill over every day from 30 on up. Dall sheep may be a dream but maybe if you saved for a few years you could do it in the next five or ten years. But the memories you make with your kids will far outlast your own life and will mean the world to them when they are older. I went on an elk hunt, possibly my fathers last, a few years ago with him, my step brother and my cousin that he had a big part in raising, we didn't get one but it is a memory that I will cherish untill I am gone. If anything was to happen to you or your wife to make it impossible for you to get another chance at taking her or your kids on a good hunt, you will never regret your decision to do it when you were able, on the other hand I am sure that you would never have any grudge against them if you never get a dall sheep. The fact that you are asking for opinions tells me that. cherish your time with your wife and kids, if someday in the future you have the extra to do something just for you then do it. If it never happens, your money will have been well spent on the hunt with your family, and you won't leave this world with any regrets. I didn't read the whole thread so if some of this has been mentioned forgive me. I am not married but I have three daughters of which I have joint custody, I have them half of the time, the other half I am working, I don't get to hunt or fly fish as much as I would like, but I would not trade my time with them for anything in the world and I never regret not getting to do things that I would like to do. when they are old enough I am sure they will hunt and fish with me and I look forward to that time, but right now I have everything I need and they have me at their disposal any time they need me and always will. If you choose doing something for yourself over doing something with your family, and never get a chance to do those things, you will always wish you had. I hope this doesn't strike any nerve with you, just kind of hits home with me.