Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Dream hunt or Car?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Gold Member

Re: Dream hunt or Car?

I agree completely with HUAINAMACHERO. SHEEP HUNT, SHEEP HUNT, SHEEP HUNT

Then tell us all about it with lots of pics!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCinKS View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I know i should invest it or save it for the kids college fund ,but this past year has me thinking how short like can be. I've already had a 57chevy and a Pro street 64Nova so i know alittle about the car sickness! I guess one word could describe my feelings Bucketlist!! I will probably take the wife on a elk hunt,but brown bear and sheep still aren't out of the question let! Oh i don't plan on finishing the car till late 2011.
You should, if you haven't already, instill a hard work ethic in the kids with regards to schooling so they can compete for scholarships. Also guide them to choose college programs that pay for themselves (ie professional degrees, not something that won't earn enough to pay back the cost of the program). They should be paying primarily with scholarships, loans and work while you and your wife plan for retirement. Sinking your retirement funding into your kids' college is not financially wise, and often not necessary for them to get it and succeed.

Oh yeah, and going on a nice hunt or two. Check out DIY hunts....I am so glad I put the work into DIY versus going with an outfitter (though not always an option), I have so much more fun on my trips and I can afford to do it yearly instead of once a decade.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

i'm with ATH, his remark was spot on! you're a family man first, with responsibilities to your wife and kids. when the kids are out and on their own, then you can "blow" a bunch on yourself, if it's OK with the wife. i'm also a believer in the DIY hunts. so much more rewarding when "your" plan comes together.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

This is a tough one, but if you are otherwise financially ok and the sheep hunt is a major dream of yours and your wife is really ok with it then go for the sheep hunt. If you're not sure right now, just hold on to the car or the money until you are. I also think the elk hunt with the wife or some other family acivity would be great too.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Bronze Member

My 2 cents.. My fondest memories of my childhood were fishing with my Dad...

(He didn't hunt)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

My 2 cents......
My grandpaw had to have a triple by pass surgery and his health was rapidly fading away . He did manage to go on a colorado hunt I was invited but didn't have enough vacation time for the time of the hunt.
I decided to go on the hunt in Colorado with my grandpaw and father . I left my job to do so I knew when I got back home I would be on the HUNT for a job . I thought about my decision pretty hard (I was single at the time) I thought what if grandpaw will never be in good enough health to go on a hunt like this again and I miss the hunt with he and my dad . So I went with him , turns out i made a good decision because he has never been able to go out their and hunt because of his health . I have PRICELESS memories of that hunt with him and I'm so glad that I went while we all could be together . I would do a hunt that would allow me to take along the family because funds may not be their in the future to go .

P.S. I have had several mustangs growing up and I wouldn't trade the 1 Elk hunt with my grandfather for ALL of my cars .

Hot rods are like boats a hole in the water to throw your money into

BigBuck
Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Silver Member

My 2 cents.. Sell the car and put half of the money in the bank and blow the other half on you a hunt.