Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Dream hunt or Car?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

Dream hunt or Car?

I posted this on a differentsite and got alot of mixed replys just wondering what the pros here would do? Ok here is the big question. Like many of you here on LRH i am a 37 year old, blue collar married father of 3 girls . I have a 1969 Chevelle big block convertable that i am restoring (80% done).Would you sell it and spend all the $ on one big hunt or 2-4 smaller hunts? I am not getting any younger and have lost intrest in hotrods ,so its time to finish this car and get it sold. I have dreamed of a Dall sheep hunt since i was very young as well as a brown bear. I have also thought about taking my wife on a elk hunt.What would you guys go on? Whitetails are out of the question,i already have a B&C and multiple P&Y bucks . My old man thinks i am nuts for wanting to sell it but cars are just not my thing anymore.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Dream hunt or Car?

I am no pro or anything like it. But you ask what we would do: no doubt the DALL SHEEP hunt. It is going to be harder for you to do it later in life. At this age you are more than likely fit to do it. You can do the elk and bear later in life. I would go for it no doubts. Just my thoughts!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

I would look at the bigger picture. 3 kids what are they into? You say your blue color but do you consder your self well off? I know no one does but do you strugle at times finacialy. Me I would plan for future put some away. Think about kids and college. I thnk it would be cool to go on a sheep hunt but for what I have seen them cost I don't think there worth it. Me I would prob take a trip with famliy. But there are realy to many options. These dissision will be tuff. Just remember once kids are out u will have more money for cars if get back into that again and future hunts.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCinKS View Post
I have also thought about taking my wife on a elk hunt.
Think about all your wife has done, sacrificed and stood by you while you restored your PU and answer this one question completely objectively. Does she deserve to go?...makes the decision real clear.

Take the wife for all the obvious reasons but, equally importantly the two of you will have an outstanding memory of a lifetime. Oh and just think you sold your restoration just so you could go on a hunt date with her. There's hunting partners and then there's life partners.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

I agree, sell the car. Then sit down with your better half and make a decision as to what to do with the funds.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Gold Member

All very sensible answers.

I know spending it all on an absolute dream hunt would be awsome, but you have to talk it over with your wife. Maybe the money could do better invested or used in a way that will in the long run benefit the whole family? While it is always nice to in essence "eat the whole cake at once" you will pay for it later. Sounds like your expecting a sizeable chunk of change for the car, so i would definetely talk it over with the wifey. Investing it in something that will earn you more in the long run would be my best advice.
But what the heck do I know. Just my opinions
Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 AM
Silver Member

Screw the future any of us could be dead tomorrow, SHEEP HUNT.