Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Down to choosing a caliber...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Down to choosing a caliber...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkidaho View Post
Again, the only thing holding me back on that is the cost. I'm thinking that if I go with the $400 Vanguard model I can afford nicer optics for it, or am I thinking backwards here? I was thinking the $400 for the rifle, and $400 or a bit more for a scope for it. Or should I be thinking $800 for the rifle and $2-300 for the scope?

Thanks again guys - I appreciate you helping out a newbie on your forum.

Darby

Your on the right track. It is better to spend a lot of money on optics and as little as possible on the rifle. The optics will make you more of a marksman than the rifle. However, choosing the right rifle will help in the accuracy. Right now my scope is in the shop. I know that I could have shot a tighter group had I had my long range scope on the rifle. With a 3x9 Tasco as a supplement until my good one came back, made me appreciate the quality of optics. Chances are if the rifle does not shoot well, it can be fixed with hand loads or basic smithing. What I mean by basic smithing is: Bedding the rifle, free floating the barrel, and getting a trigger job.

I don't think you will go wrong. Out of cruiosity... what are you looking at for glass?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Out of cruiosity... what are you looking at for glass?

Tank
Truth be told that was to be my next thread topic, because I don't have a clue what to get. I don't think I've ever spent more than $50-$100 on a scope so I have no clue where to even begin for that.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

Here's the thread for asking about the scope: And now for some Optics...
Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

...I feel good about the Weatherby. I just wasn't sure if the Howa was a cheaper item they put in their Vanguard line to make them inexpensive and I didn't want to buy something that was going to be junk.

Just like this beauty here: Vanguard Sub-MOA Stainless | Rifles | Products | Weatherby.com

Again, the only thing holding me back on that is the cost. I'm thinking that if I go with the $400 Vanguard model I can afford nicer optics for it, or am I thinking backwards here? I was thinking the $400 for the rifle, and $400 or a bit more for a scope for it. Or should I be thinking $800 for the rifle and $2-300 for the scope?

Thanks again guys - I appreciate you helping out a newbie on your forum.

Darby[/quote]

Not to throw asparagus on your plan......
Still a caution for you. If you get a Monday morning Vanguard (They say that you should never buy a car that was built on Monday morning.) you may find it really HARD to find a good gunsmith to fix it.

Next issue, Weatherby's warranty. Guaranteed to shoot 1.5 MOA With factory premium ammo, bullet weight of their choosing. Should you get your factory target, shot with 135 grain ammo. Will this fill your need ? If not, can you get it fixed ? If you buy a Remington or Winchester or Browning every gunsmith on the block can easily get parts for them, especially Remington 700.

Just put together my first Remington 700. Put the barreled action on a B and C stock. Totally impressed with Rem's Quality. The action is smoother than the last 3 Vanguards that I have held in my hands. Shot a 0.7 group in the middle of my ladder testing. And I purchased this barreled action for cheap.

+1 on the choice of 300 WSM.

Best of luck with all of this.

Al

JM .02

Last edited by 4bycamper; 09-08-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Just check this nice TC ICONS they all shoot SUB moa and some SUB 1/2 MOA

all of icons have $150 rebate

ICONŽ - Thompson/Center
ICONŽ - Thompson/Center
ICONŽ - Thompson/Center

check out TC venture it cost 400 bucks

Venture - Thompson/Center

they come with lifetime waranty as well