Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Down to choosing a caliber...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

Down to choosing a caliber...

I had been looking at quite a few new rifles for hunting: Browning, Marlin, Remington, Ruger, Sako, Thompson/Center, Tikka, Weatherby, and Winchester, and possibly a couple others I am failing to recall at present.

It came down to finally going and shouldering them all and seeing which ones just felt right. I had narrowed it down to the Browning X-Bolt, Remington 700 SPS and the Weatherby Vanguard. I went back today to check those three out again and I've had it stuck in my head that the Weatherby or the Remington were going to be the one and it pretty much came down to that order: Weatherby, Remington, then Browning.

The Weatherby just felt the best and seemed to shoulder the most naturally for me. I have or had pretty much convinced myself that I was going to get it in 30-06 and now I'm second guessing that. I'm not sure that I'll ever be a hunter that takes the shot that's out there at 1000 yards - that's cool and everything and not that I don't think I couldn't do it (with lots of practice of course), but part of hunting for me is getting closer than that. Granted I would also want to be able to shoot long distances if that was my only choice at that time.

Anyway, after reading here what was said about some of the less expensive rifles, I was pleased to see that the Weatherby I believe I have chosen was spoken rather well of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG MO View Post
One observation that I have made is some of these budget rifles, fed quaility ammo, given a decent scope and mounts, will flatout shoot. I feel the off the shelf rifle today that won't produce moa groups or better with quality handloads is the exception. Several that I have shot over the last couple years are capable of much more. A few noteworthy examples:

-Weatherby Vanguard 300WSM $399. This rifle came with a factory 3 shot group right at 3/8 inch. First group at the range with factory Winchester Supreme 150 ballistic tips, it shot a 3/8 in group. With tuned handloads it shot some groups in the .2's
So, now I am second guessing myself and wondering 30-06, or 300WSM?

Can one of you fellows in the-know as it were, maybe tell me the major differences between the two? I'm not even sure what to ask exactly or for what differences to look for and or expect, so any help is appreciated.

I know the 30-06 will kill anything I'm going to hunt, from Moose to Coyotes, so I'm wondering what advantage would I gain with the 300WSM, and or what disadvantages would there be?

Thanks for your time.

Darby
Old 09-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Gold Member

Re: Down to choosing a caliber...

What are you planning to hunt with it? Did you consider TC Venture? It guaranteed to shoot MOA or less.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

some advantages of the 30-06 will be the ready availability of ammo when you are on a trip; much less expensive ammo, wide variety of factory ammo, a little less recoil.

Advantages of the WSM over the 30-06 is that it shoots a little faster/ flatter with the same weight bullet, has more cool factor. it is a short action as well.

I upgraded from the 06 to the wsm just because I wanted a little more power in case I have the opportunity for a little longer shot. White tail the 06 has plenty of power for 600+, and the WSM has plenty for 800+ IMHO.

good luck with your decision,
Mark.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Advantages are the ability to push heavier bullets at much better speeds. For instance, looking at a reloading manual we see the following:

300 WSM Reloader 19 68.2grns. 180 grain pointed boat tail bullet= 2952fps

30-06 Reloader 19 58.3 (Compressed Charge) 180 grain Boat tail bullet=2698fps

Now you can see the difference with identical bullets and the same powder. If you shoot factory ammo you are still going to get an increased performance from the 300WSM.

These numbers are grossly under par with which they are able to achieve. They have to load light because of lawyers, but there is still a significance in velocity between the two calibers comparing powder and bullet weight.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

I have always like how the Weatherby shoulders also, the 300WSM would give you more to work with. It looks like the short action has more aftermarket stuff for it if you want to reconfigure it.
Right now there is more 300WSM than 30-06 factory stuff on the shelves here locally, significant coin difference in favor to the 30-06 though.
Going from moose to coyote, the 300WSM will give you an advantage on both ends, faster light coyote loads and it will handle the 180gr+ bullets better.
If your reloading, no doubt, go with WSM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

One thing about the WSM, if you are a reloader you can load down for lighter loads for less recoil and maintain the 30-06 velocities. You start loading down a 30-06 you will drastically loose velocity and hitting energy.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Gold Member

Upps, didn't read the part about coyotes vs. moose, yes go for it, both will do just fine, 30-06 ammo much cheaper, choose your twist rate wisely, so you can shoot light bullets and heavy enough for moose, let see coyotes 1:12 hmm moose 1:10 so go for 11 with this twist rate you can shoot heavy bullets like 180 + and light in 150 – 140 grains. , I know the riffle for it, TIKKA T3 Varmint they got both 30-06, 300 WM, and 300 WSM, also they got 7 mm RM

Last edited by Jinx-); 09-06-2009 at 12:58 PM.