Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Does Strapping down your rifle result in tighter shot groups?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 08:21 PM

Does Strapping down your rifle result in tighter shot groups?

I was sighting in my 270 with a new scope today and I am wondering if strapping down the gun to reduce (Kick) will improve my grouping? Currently, I rest the rifle on sandbags with the butt against my shoulder, resulting in 3" groups at 200 Yards with about 10 mph. breeze. The dis-atvantage I have noticed is the rifle will jump more than normal because of my loose grip. Any advice would be helpful. BB
Old 02-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

Re: Does Strapping down your rifle result in tighter shot groups?

I don't think "strapping down" a rifle would help due to the stresses that are induced on the gun itself. Sandbags are the a very good way to site in a rifle. it's way better than some of the nuts that I see at the range. They usually use a rolled up coat or blanket. They are also happy to hit a paper plate at 100 yds 3 times out of 5.

the best way to stop muzzle rise is to have a firm grip, but consistant grip on the fore end with the bags supporting it. There are other things that can help accuracy other than the jump. The bullet is already gone when the rifle bbl starts to rise. A good trigger job, a bedded action and good optics will help the rifle. Refineing the reload also helps alot. 3" at 100 yds isn't that bad especially for a standard weight bbl on a factory rifle.

Hope this helps,

Dan
Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

I guess it all depends on how it is strapped down. If there is anything that is in contact with the barrel it could affect the accuracy of the gun. If you are stable when you shoot then the groups will be as good as the gun gets. If you are not stable then there could be some human error in it. I know of a range that has a setup here in utah for sighting in and some people use it for testing loads when working up a load for the gun. this setup is inside of its own "shack" and it clamps your gun down and uses a remote system to fire the gun at the target at 100 yds. this is supposed to eliminate all of the human error and keep the exact point of aim to give you the best idea of what your gun can do and also how much you need to move your scope to get it where you want it. I have not used it but have seen it used several times and often wonder how reliable it is. Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the input, I'm fairly new to long-range shooting. I tried a new load today along with the new scope. 2nd load Win. brass, Fed.210 primers, 55 GRN's of H-4831, 150 GRN. Nosler Partition with an OAL of 3.295. To be truthfull, I was not that impressed. I shot 30 rounds of my handloads and 20 rounds of midrange factory ammo, I did not see much improvment in the grouping. It looks like I have some (tweeking) to do. As soon as my shoulder heals. Ha,Ha Thanks again, BB
Old 03-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

good luck with the load development process, it can be frustrating but in the end when you find the perfect load for the gun, it is well worth all the trouble.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

If you are not already doing it, put a sand bag under the butt of the rifle. Hold onto the with your trigger hand with a consistent grip. Leave your non-trigger hand off the rifle and let it recoil. Use your non-trigger hand to squeeze the bag under the butt to get your elevation exact. This should be the most consistent way to shoot your rifle. I would not strap the rifle down unless you intend to strap it down in the same exact way when you are hunting.

Steve
Old 03-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Currently, I do not put a bag under the butt. I'll do it next time, it makes good sense. BB