Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Does anyone use a T/C Encore for LR hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Does anyone use a T/C Encore for LR hunting?

If you do, have you done anything special to your rifle to get the accuracy you need for LR shooting? What calibers?
Old 05-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Does anyone use a T/C Encore for LR hunting?

You can go to www.bellmtcs.com and find a wealth of info on accurizing the Encore. I believe JD Jones on here can also help.

You will definitely need a trigger job to start with. There are several inexpensive things you can do to improve accuracy. I have a 25-06 heavy barrel that shoots 1/2" at 100 yds with the 110 gr AB. This is post trigger job, larger hinge pin and aftermarket semibeavertail forend from Boyds through Midway USA.

Best of luck,
Sam

NRA Life Member
Old 05-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

The Encore can be used for long range hunting just as well as any bolt gun so long as its setup correctly. I had my scxreen name here changed from JD Jones to James Jones as it is now because of the confusion between me and the real J.D. Jones from SSK. I do how ever do some work on Encores to help make them shoot better , working the trigger to a nice consistant pull , change out the hinge pin to make the lockup more consistant and bed the forend or convert it to the hangerbar setup so that the forend pressure is made consistant.

I have seen several encores that would shoot in the 3/4 to 1/2" range consistantly with factory ammo though generaly in smaller calibers , I have seen one 300 win heavy barreled Encore that would shoot into the 1/2" range with a couple premium factory ammo's and down near the .3's with handloads.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Gold Member

What them two said! X2! Bellm and trigger job youll do fine!

After my 270AM custom is done, Im gonna try some 169.5 Wildcats in a 270 WIN Encore but gonna get some more thoughts on that before I do it!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

Thanks everyone. I have talked to Mike Bellm a lot and he is a wealth of info. I have a pro hunter that shoots great with the full facotry setup and a trigger job. I have an early model encore that I am having problems with but I will find the right combination of tricks to make it work. Bellm's larger hinge pins are enroute.