Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Does anyone have a Custom Browning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Does anyone have a Custom Browning?

I have a Browning BPCR that has been rebarrelled with a full hex barrel and trigger work... I guess I have not considered it custom
Old 06-24-2010, 07:38 PM

My Dad told me 40 yrs ago, If you want a hotrod,Buy a Hotrod, There's plenty of them out there factory built, factory warranty. Check your prices and options, pretty much the same...
Old 06-25-2010, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Not the most popular choice, but there are a few around. Mine is on its third barrel now. One of my favorite pics:

A more recent one:

I feel they make for a very nice carry rifle for all around hunting. For a real heavy rifle they wouldn't be my first choice. There's lots of misinformation out there about them. Nasty locktite/thread galling on stainless actions is a real problem, but most of the rest of the stuff you hear about them is BS.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
I feel they make for a very nice carry rifle for all around hunting. For a real heavy rifle they wouldn't be my first choice. There's lots of misinformation out there about them. Nasty locktite/thread galling on stainless actions is a real problem, but most of the rest of the stuff you hear about them is BS.
Are the stainless actions more prone to galling than the standard steel actions?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
You always see the Remington 700 line of rifles being custom, and savage, even Ruger every once in a while or sometimes winchester. You never hear about a browning being custom. Why? Browning Makes some good bolt action rifles, why dont people custom them?

Browning Stainless Stalker 7mm Mag, Rockcreek 5R Barrel 25"#6 contour 1-11" twist, 2 lb. Timney trigger spring, Stock is original composite not the newer plastic, I shoot 120 TTSX/hBN and Berger 140 VLD Hunting. Action has been blueprinted and a David Tubb recoil lug added. This gun has always shot one moa or better and now shoots .5 moa or better. As far as quality it took less than two minutes to lap in the lugs as there was already almost 100% contact. I had never seen this with any receiver, custom not included.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Jon A

What stock is that? who did your gunsmith work? is that an abolt ii?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texote View Post
Jon A

What stock is that? who did your gunsmith work? is that an abolt ii?
I'm curious about the stock, as well.

That is an original A-Bolt, b/c it has the round fluted bolt body. The A-Bolt II bolt is A-shaped the entire length of the bolt body, which is what I have.

Here's a pic of my A-Bolt II bolt...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.