Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

do it yourself elk hunt-suggestions????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member
Email me or pm me or call me. I am ol PA boy too. CO now. Not an expert but I can call in bulls, but am mostly unsuccessful so far. This however is my year.

NRA Life Member

Unread 09-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Bronze Member
Diy Elk

If you are only after a cow elk you should have no problem. I like the Paonia, CO area. Lot's of elk, and extra nice people live there. They actually welcome the out of state hunter's. Lot's of BLM land on Electric Mountain. Scoring on a cow should be no problem. Easy access, you can camp on the mountain or stay in a hotel in Paonia(South of Glenwood Springs). Tom.
Unread 09-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Bronze Member
Originally Posted by CAM View Post

Just throw a dart at that map and go huntin!!!
Get to a vantage point and glass, early and late then move in.

Been checking area elevations, migration info, resident herd info, typical snowfall, etc etc etc.

My only problem is that I want to find a place that is open because I don't have a problem taking up to 600 yards at my current skill level. Being an old artillery observer, I could spend all day in one spot glassing. (Actually spent quite a few days in that mode, but I wasn't elk hunting at the time).
My buddies are Cooperists to the extreme and would prefer to sneak up to "shiv" range if possible. I'm trying to find an area that gives them some aspens and me some open ground.

I've been over so many orthophotgraphy maps and terrain models, I'm beginning to stare at women and wonder what they look like from a satelite view.
Unread 09-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Silver Member
If you are planning on killing an elk, I'd say your first priority is to find a large, burly type hunting buddy (or a couple), to take along. This is mandatory Elk hunting equipment. Either that or forget about the freezer and just pack in a frying pan.
Unread 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

I don't know about a satelite view! but a topo well now!

Two small knoll's with a flat valley that drop off in to a "grand" canyon.

To hunt this type of terrain start at the knoll's and only go down into the canyon if you have too!!

Unread 09-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Silver Member
I lived in CO for a few years (3) while in the military and have gone back more than a couple times for elk hunting and have been pretty successfull, killing an elk better than half of the time. I would just suggest you first find good elk country, meaning food, cover, and water, although for that last one they can travel a hell of a long ways at night to drink.

I always look for the aspens with dark timber nearby, which I know is everywhere you look, BUT it seems they very often are feeding in the aspens at night, and moving to the dark timber for the day. Also, get more than a mile off the road!!!!! After that the hunting pressure really seems to thin out dramatically. Last year I shot a very decent 5X5 bull opening day. I was a little over 2 miles from the road and there wasn't another hunter in sight. This was over-the-counter public land. Thank God there was over a foot of fresh snow as we made a toboggan with my frame pack and a tarp an sled the meat (boned out) back down to the road. Oh, and one small thing but something to consider, try and shoot an elk UPHILL from where you need to pack him out to, or hire someone with horses to haul it out for you.
Unread 10-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Silver Member
have about 1/4" of paper printouts of different info.colorado looks like the place for my needs.says on thier website about 1/2 of the elk in co are in the nw part of the state.and by the harvest data thats where the hunting pressure is.there are some gmu's in this area that are hunted pretty hard.and others that are not.the funny thing is that they have almost the same sucess percentage.i still have a lot of research to do but nw co will probably get most of my attention.sw co also has some good hunting and not quite as much pressure.good kill numbers in some gmu"s there too.i did however read on an elk forum something real fellow suggests to hunt the last 2 rifle seasons.especially for cows.the snow up in the high country pushes the elk lower.easier to hunt,condenses the herd into less ground.easier to get meat to camp.makes sense,except the later in the fall you go ,the easier it is to get stuck in a big snow.any suggestions taken.jason