Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

do it yourself elk hunt-suggestions????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

do it yourself elk hunt-suggestions????????

hey there guys,i'm thinking of planning a do it yyourself elk hunt on public land somewhere in the western elk states.i'm a "greenhorn" when it comes to elk hunting.i only know pa whitetails.i saw in a hunting magazine that some states offer over the counter cow tags.just want to have a good time and if the lord willing take some meat home.what states offer over the counter cow tags and is there any public land with huntable populations of elk on it.thanks jason
Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Silver Member

Colorado seems to have the most elk and the most liberal take of them. Also they offer the cheapest and easiest to get out of state license. Some states are incredibly expensive-Montana, some are even expensive to apply for the chance to hunt elk- see AZ! There is plenty of public land in all the western states and that land holds lots of elk. You will have to do your research to figure out just where you want to hunt them and then maybe ask for some help. I have hunted in western CO and could offer limited advice like a good starting point or something like that.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
For what you describe, Colorado would fill your needs and freezer. They are begging hunters to come to CO to harvest their over abundance of elk. That is evident by the low cost of OTC cow tags. CO has more elk than the area can handle.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Bronze Member

I'm currently researching the same thing in CO for myself and my friends for 2008 season.

Some questions or info you may need from wildlife resources.

Kill percentage rates by zone and by season for bull/cows
Look at the number of recreation days per zone and compare to number of hunters this tells you what areas are being hunted most, if this concerns you.

Trespass hunt outfitters
BLM land vs National Park land vs Private Land
Private Land with access to BLM or National Park.

Being a numbers guy, I downloaded most of this data, spreadsheeted it. I can sort it by season (1st and 4th are by draw, whereas 2nd and 3rd are OTC licenses for Bulls). Sort by number of hunters, numbers of elk taken, percentage of successfule hunters, etc etc etc. I can sort by percentage of success, overall or by Bull only.

Got me a highlighted map, by season, of where the most number of elk were taken, and where the best percentage chance is by season.

Than we started looking for hunts in those areas. Got an email directory full of that stuff right now, that I am continually updating, adding or removing info.

Maybe someday, we'll get to go hunting :-(
Old 09-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

Surveyor

Just throw a dart at that map and go huntin!!!

We had guy compile bear crap on a map, mainly it showed everyplace "HE" had been!! LOL

I think your actions/map will increase your chances!!
Keep over laying it and go kill some elk!!
Elk are like gold "thier where you find them"
Elk are habitat animals learn the country!!
The unit may have summer to winter range you need to find the Elk.
If your not seeing Elk, fresh sign, or smelling them. MOVE
Get to a vantage point and glass, early and late then move in.

CAM
Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Bronze Member

30-06 Boy, we started DIY hunting Colorado 20 plus years ago, it surely can be done but sucess may not be to high till you learn the area you choose and how the animals us it. In all those years we did meet some great people and many of them will help you out on where and when to hunt. Don't be afaird to call the DOW they are great people and will give you lots of info. The local warden in the area we hunt likes to stop for lunch when he can and he always gives us the no partiy hunting lecture because we are from Wisconsin. Go to Colorado Division of Wildlife - Colorado Division of Wildlife and all the info you need to start is there. Now I can give you some info on a couple areas but they are not over the counter tags for cows and they are not easy hunts but it's great country with Elk if you are willing to work very hard. Dave
Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Just follow what Buffalobob's doing and adjust for your own style. Regardless of what anyone says there's a lot of space between elk and even elk herds out in this neck of the woods.especially if you aren't real familiar with where to look. But when you do find them, Wholly Cow its worth the effort.!