Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?
Poll Options
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

I started using electronic ear muffs in the early 90's. Its just a matter of getting use to using them and realizing, you have only one set of ears. Protect them 24-7. While mowing the lawn. When ambulances and fire trucks drive by. My dad was deaf. My brothers are not far behind. They just cannot understand the concept of preventive maintenance. Like working out and belonging to a gym. You stop moving, your done!
I had a muzzle brake put on a 338 ruger back in the day. Now, have one on my 243 and get to watch either the hit or miss while blasting yotes. Very rewarding. I have a BAR with a BOSS. Same thing I love watching the bag-flops!
Just the other day, I heard the yotes climbing up this seep hill with rocks from about 100 yards. I was able to be set, in position, ready for the shot. I nailed one. Saw three.
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Atheism
Do Not Fear Education
Old 12-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Post 60 and married 30 years.......

Prior to, I always used 'protection'

Now, don't need it...........

Far as hearing loss.......What did you say little whippersnapper????
Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one crazy kid View Post
How often do you replace your Surefire Sonic Defenders? They say 6+months of use is that 6 months of strait shooting? or just use and abuse?

I only wear them hunting, and I replace them every season. Mainly because at one point during the season (usually toward the end when I am helping someone fill their tag) I get absentminded or drunk and lose them (OK, let's be real: drunk). They are only $13 at WM, who cares? I have several pair. It's usually while I am hauling ass around in a Ranger it seems...

I ALWAYS use at least plugs, but usually muffs and plugs while "fun shooting".

And for those who say "I HAVE to hear due to predators": the Surefires work great for that. Unplug them and you can hear fine.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hynes57 View Post
No BS these Sound Gear Plugs are going to be the answer to most everyone's issues with normal hearing protection and amplified muffs. Again, yes they are expensive, but when you consider all of the other benefits from slightly amplified hearing as well as preventing hearing loss...... It's well worth it.
Three people at my work have major hearing losses from unprotected shooting (range & hunting). Ages=35, 42, 45!! All now wear "hearing aids" to function normally at work and in their personal lives. None have family history of early medical losses, only exposure to high impact sounds (shooting). Exposure to quick impact noise over 120db causes instantaneous hearing loss. Prognosis for their golden years, not good...hearing naturally deteriorates as we age.

My oldest son (37yrs) builds custom rifles and is an advocate for Good Hearing Protection. However, on just "1" occasion, he forgot to wear his protection while beginning load development for his braked Lapua .338. He now has a severe high hearing loss in his left ear...not good.

As of this reply, your current hearing is the Best it will ever be. Be it plugs, muffs, el. muffs or these el. plugs, PROTECT the hearing you have before it's too late...It Is in Your Control...make it a wise choice!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

I was surprised the poll did not have a box for "always" Electronics help my hunting by amplifying what I would normally not hear in addition to protection......but take it from someone who now has tinnitis...wear hearing protestion every time you shoot a gun- period
Old 01-06-2014, 05:34 PM

I just ordered a set of Peltor 6S after reading this poll. I always used them on the range; but for hunting with a brake it makes sense.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moecarama View Post
I just ordered a set of Peltor 6S after reading this poll. I always used them on the range; but for hunting with a brake it makes sense.

I've been using the Howard Leight R-01526 Impact El. Stereo Earmuffs for All of my shooting activities (range & hunting)! Amplification of surrounding sounds is very simple, selective and accurate.

At the outdoor range, can hold a normal conversation and easily hear the range master...All while having excellent attenuation and ear safety during high noise rifle impacts. In the deer stand, can easily hear your partner whisper, the directional winds, bird and animal noises in the woods (squirrels, rutting bucks, etc,). Due to the dual pick ups, I can differentiate sound directions with wide adjustment for the volume of sounds I Want to hear.

When I dropped my first deer on Jan. 2nd 14' (.30-06), saw the muzzle blast but never really heard the impact...Noise damping is Swift and Quick with almost immediate return of regular sounds (under 1\4 second)! So far, these electronic ear muffs are comfortable, adjustable and well built. At 17degress during the past hunting days, they also kept my ears very warm!

As mention in this post, they do take a little getting use to due to possible interference with a low and tight check weld, an issue that the El. Plugs would not have. However, during my past 6 days of hunting in deer stands (over 44 hours), I never experienced any discomfort and they performed flawlessly!

For me, the acceptable HL ear muffs $$$ investment (<$50) was a no brainier, as I will always protect and keep the quality of hearing I currently have!!