Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?
Poll Options
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Re: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Len I have been shooting comp. since 1958 trap and then into sporting clays, along with time in Viet Nam. It is not rocket science here. If you want to keep your hearing wear hearing protection--- its that simple. Or you will wind up almost deaf, like me, and a lot of ---- Huh's and whats, cause you did not hear what others said.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONYA View Post
Wearing ear protection while hunting can be much more dangerous than hearing loss,is that one maybe two shots really going to amount to anything...

Straight off - use protection - I had many situations where I had to "Get by" with out it, like next to a jet engine and I mean four feet from the intake, but hey it was only a few seconds.... tore me up. A day at the trap range, I wasn't on the line so the reports were not as loud - HUH? I was slow to get my muffs on at the rifle range and the guy down from me was shooting a 220 Swift - What's that? Finally went in for an evaluation and the "disability" word came up! One shot! WOW! I now own some really nice electronic hearing protectors and I took a long time to find them. I am very sad to say that on a recent range trip I had them on and was walking towards the line and heard the grass whipping on my shoes for the first time since I was a young man. Put some extra batteries in your pack and make sure you check them out well before you go. I hate the high pressure air line sound I hear all the time - too late now!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:41 AM

One more time I just came across an APP for Iphone called gunsonic - Looks interesting
Old 12-18-2013, 01:52 PM

handguns yes to head gear rifles no
Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
I am pretty diligent about it, the foam "neck ring" type if running around on quads or Rangers for big game and the Surefire Sonic Defenders otherwise, even with shotguns and rimfires.

There are times you have to crack off a shot but I WILL NOT let my daughters shoot without ears no matter what (7 and 9), no reason to live with ringing for a lifetime.
How often do you replace your Surefire Sonic Defenders? They say 6+months of use is that 6 months of strait shooting? or just use and abuse?
Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistictip2506 View Post
handguns yes to head gear rifles no

Rifles are not as bad but that is like a light case of Plague. If you are a youngster it will come for you as time passes. There are so many things now that affect our hearing. When I was having mine evaluated I was asked if I drink coffee and told that it does add to the ringing I already have. I can't encourage you enough to embrace the use of muffs, mine are electronic and work really really well. They will turned up and assist me during the hunting process. It is a blessing.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zondfive View Post
Rifles are not as bad but that is like a light case of Plague. If you are a youngster it will come for you as time passes. There are so many things now that affect our hearing. When I was having mine evaluated I was asked if I drink coffee and told that it does add to the ringing I already have. I can't encourage you enough to embrace the use of muffs, mine are electronic and work really really well. They will turned up and assist me during the hunting process. It is a blessing.
Wow, really?? I have had constant tinnitus in both ears for several years. I know what it's from: years of weapons going off right next to me, exploding ordnance in very close proximity, jet engines, fire trucks, sirens, concussions... life has been tough on my hearing... but now you tell me COFFEE is making it worse!! OMG!! What next... Jack Daniels makes me go blind?? lmao!!

Yes I wear hearing protection now, Howard Leights and Sure Fire Sonic Defenders.

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

Doc

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas