Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?
Poll Options
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

After our elk hunt of 2012 both my Dad and my hunting partner stated that the best piece of equipment they owned was their electronic hearing protection. So, in January at the SHOT Show I bought custom digital hearing protection from EAR Inc. I now wear it whether bird or big game hunting and very much appreciate it.

I had worn eletronic muffs with some bird hunting before, and tried to use foam earplugs with occasional big game hunts. The new protection eliminates those and works far better.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:59 AM
PUBLISHER

Quote:
I've tried several of the inexpensive versions of electronic muffs/plugs with horrible experience. My beef centers around sound quality.
GOOD -- I bought one of the well under $200 units. You'd recognize the brand. It was junk. Gave it away to a LRH member.

It did not bock blast well at all. And it was one of the exterior style, designed to wear behind the ear. It would dislodge and then not seal the ear canal.

Worthless! No that's wrong. It was WORSE than worthless since it gave you a false sense of protection.

Sound quality on the Soundgear is excellent.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

I've always worn hearing protection when shooting other than long barrel 22 LRs or suppressed firearms. I'm 68 and my hearing is still fine. If you want to hear sounds around you while hunting stereo electronic muffs which clamp noise peaks work great and retain a good sense of sound direction.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

When I sight in, yes, always. When I'm hunting, no. I do carry ear plugs but I need to hear and watch so, no I don't and don't plan to.

If I lost my hearing at my age, probably better. Lots of things I don't want to hear anyway.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

I got Tinnitus when I was only 28 (shooting A LOT as a youth w/ out protection) Doctor said I would be wearing hearing aids by 40 if something didn't change. I always wear muffs at the range and now I hunt with the ear plugs that are attached to the plastic collar that you wear around your neck (construction guys wear them). Super fast to put in your ears before the shot.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Ever since I ported my 300WM, I have to put the plugs in or I get ringing with the first shot. before that though, I didn't bother.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM

did the deed today and bought myself a christmas present a set of SOUNDGEAR ear protection for sport and work,good hearing never comes back