Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?
Poll Options
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 12:58 PM

Re: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Congrats on your bear Len. I wear double protection at the range (plugs and electronic muffs.) I try to always wear something when hunting. Has anyone had any in the ear electronic plugs they didn't like?

Brad Dana
Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 AM

I don't right now, unless I am hunting rabbits or something where we'll be shooting alot. But I don't shoot anything with a brake. When I build a magnum caliber I will run a brake and use ear pro.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Bronze Member

While hunting I use hearing protection just for my .300wm, because I have a break on it. Othervise I dont, because it is quite hard to hear voices...
Old 07-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Bronze Member

It is quite hard to find out from where the voices are coming even with good electronic ones...
Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 PM

This thread never fails to disappoint me.

I find it amazing that so many people make the argument of not having the time to put in plugs like that's some huge obstacle that can't easily be overcome. Invest it a decent pair of plugs like the soundgear plugs which are basically the reason this thread exists and wear them all the time so you don't have to take the time when you need to shoot. It's pretty simple.

Also, if you have true stereo input where each ear has a separate mic to input sound you will not have any more trouble telling where the sound is coming from than you would if you didn't have the plugs in. A lot of people incorrectly believe that their over the ear amplification muffs they bought for 50 bucks are the same as the soundgear plugs. They may say stereo sound in them but that just refers to the fact that the sound is being played to both ears. 99% of the muffs use one mic for sound input even though it may look like they have two. One of them is just for show. Directional hearing comes from your ability to receive the sound differently from one ear to the other. Guess what happens when you have one mic spewing sound to both ears....... You can't tell where the sound is coming from.

Buy soundgear or one of the various other electronic plugs and you will know the difference. You will help save your hearing and even better you will more than likely hear better with the help of amplification.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magcreedmoor View Post
AMEN, Mr.Backus. I also wear an 'in-the-ear' electronic product, and fail to understand why this argument continues. Given the cost of all the other gear we use for hunting, the modest price tag of these devices should not pose any obstacle.
Very True when you really think about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Last week I killed a 6.5 foot black bear in the Wyoming mountains. It was a combination of spot and stalk during the days and then sitting 574 yards from a bait for the last few hours of the day.

I wore SoundGear electronic plugs continuously and comfortably from 10am to 9 pm for 2 eleven hour hunt days. My kill shot was made just an hour before dark on the second day.

I never had to compromise my hearing health or my hunting ability.
A win win. In my opinion this actually makes you a better hunter!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:51 PM

Is there any 7mm accubonds lr 168 grain bullets out there in California.