Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?
Poll Options
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 05:00 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! huh? what??

messing with things that go BIG bang and not wearing hearing protection is just plain STUPID.

i'd say "ignorant", but no one in their right mind is ignorant about really loud noises and their hearing. yeesh.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Gold Member

Between playing electric guitar for nearly 30 years, spending my youth ahooting at ducks out of trash cans burried in the ground and 10 years driving an airboat for work my ears are shot. I wear custom molded earplugs when I do anything slightly loud. Mowing the lawn, vacuuming or hunting my ears are covered. Blowing a duck call with plugs in is never as good as without but being able to hear the ducks in 30 years is more important than hearing the wind in their wings now right before I shoot.

Anyone who thinks they don't have time to plug up when big game hunting is ridiculous. Unless you are on a drive jump shooting there is no reason not to plug your ears. I keep a cheap pair of rubber plugs on a string around my neck deer hunting. Takes 5 seconds to grab them and put them in. Reason I absolutely HATE muzzle breaks is even when wearing plugs and headphones if you are even slightly even with someone shooting a break the pressure wave seems to hit me.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Silver Member

Can you send pictures and what are you asking?
Old 06-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkrat View Post
Between playing electric guitar for nearly 30 years, spending my youth ahooting at ducks out of trash cans burried in the ground and 10 years driving an airboat for work my ears are shot. I wear custom molded earplugs when I do anything slightly loud. Mowing the lawn, vacuuming or hunting my ears are covered. Blowing a duck call with plugs in is never as good as without but being able to hear the ducks in 30 years is more important than hearing the wind in their wings now right before I shoot.

Anyone who thinks they don't have time to plug up when big game hunting is ridiculous. Unless you are on a drive jump shooting there is no reason not to plug your ears. I keep a cheap pair of rubber plugs on a string around my neck deer hunting. Takes 5 seconds to grab them and put them in. Reason I absolutely HATE muzzle breaks is even when wearing plugs and headphones if you are even slightly even with someone shooting a break the pressure wave seems to hit me.
Do you have any idea how many shots I wouldn't have made over the years if I had to take the time to put in ear plugs before the game made it to cover or over a ridge?You must hunt in a perfect world where your game stands perfectly still while you adorn yourself with protective gear.I have two big muleys and a couple bulls on the wall that wouldn't be there if I took my eyes off them for a split second,let alone take the time to put in ear plugs.I guess Im ridiculous.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

it comes down to personal choice - yer ability to hear well and not develop tinnitis, or bag that game. for most of us, the answer is a no-brainer .... ymmv and teto.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:21 PM
PUBLISHER

Last week I killed a 6.5 foot black bear in the Wyoming mountains. It was a combination of spot and stalk during the days and then sitting 574 yards from a bait for the last few hours of the day.

I wore SoundGear electronic plugs continuously and comfortably from 10am to 9 pm for 2 eleven hour hunt days. My kill shot was made just an hour before dark on the second day.

I never had to compromise my hearing health or my hunting ability.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Last week I killed a 6.5 foot black bear in the Wyoming mountains. It was a combination of spot and stalk during the days and then sitting 574 yards from a bait for the last few hours of the day.

I wore SoundGear electronic plugs continuously and comfortably from 10am to 9 pm for 2 eleven hour hunt days. My kill shot was made just an hour before dark on the second day.

I never had to compromise my hearing health or my hunting ability.
AMEN, Mr.Backus. I also wear an 'in-the-ear' electronic product, and fail to understand why this argument continues. Given the cost of all the other gear we use for hunting, the modest price tag of these devices should not pose any obstacle.