Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?
Poll Options
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Both hunting and shooting range always with protection, we've got just one sense of hearing. If it's gone nobody can repair it! I usually use electronic protection like f. ex. Sordin.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
Hearing protection just hampers your hearing ability
Guess it depends what yer using. I've been wearing ESP's digital aids for 12 years because I hunt a lot of waterfowl. Upgraded to the digital model a few years ago. They actually amplify sound if you turn them up. They'r also good for other things. When I worked in the office, we got a new boss who insisted on closing his door for every phone call. I'd pop in my hearing aids and could actually make out his conversation through the wall. Turned out the guy was a real prick and the aids helped save my job as they were trying to eliminate positions...
Old 11-30-2013, 01:07 PM

there's a lot of selection out on the market and don't get me wrong,I've worked oil/gas all my life and been around planes and heli's,I'll admit to hearing damage over the years,when I'm at the trapline there isn't a sound to be heard-manmade and I asked my pilot that I can hear a genset running and knowing there is not another human for a few hundred miles he say hearing damage.I was in a bad fire in 92 and burned my ears and now prone to ear infections,things in my ears bother me muffs don't always work.maybe in the new year I'll do some reserch
Old 11-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

It really depends on what I am using to hunt with. If the 243 or m-4 I normally do not. But if using the 7RM, 454 Casull or 44 mag then I will. Strangely enough it is the 454 that will really put the hurt on your ears, that thing has one heck of a crack to it.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

You know, I really want to wear hearing protection anytime loud noises are present. Shooting- riding the motorcycle, etc. Hunting it's difficult. Most of the time it's not a quick thing to insert plugs when a shot presents itself.

I've tried several of the inexpensive versions of electronic muffs/plugs with horrible experience. My beef centers around sound quality. I have some plugs that work well, but the sound quality is horrible- distracting and hindering, but that said, I will never be able to afford $500 for hearing protection so I just have to deal with what I have. I'd like a product that just passes natural ambient unmodified sound through, then somehow mutes it at pressure.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

I have not worn hearing protection in the past while hunting, but my tinnitus is more likely due to a lifetime of exposure to farm machinery. Having said that, I recently had a chance to buy (on sale) Sport Ear in- the- ear electronic protection. I then spent all day at the range testing them out. I will NEVER shoot again without them. This website store also offers an in-the-ear type unit. Get it. I am not kidding. Get it. You will never believe how good these things work until you try them out. Absolutely normal hearing, and then when the gun is fired you suddenly realize you ARE wearing excellent hearing protection. And I shoot a braked 6.5/284. Fellow next to me on the line was banging away with a 338 Lapua with a 5-slot brake. No problem at all.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Bronze Member

The first few years in the Army (11C/11B) the Army didn't force earplugs so not many guys wore, most of us now have severe hearing loss. Wear em whenever you shoot>