Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?
Poll Options
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
Hearing protection just hampers your hearing ability
Not necessarily I wear a set of pro ears that have a noise cancelling circuit. It amplifies all sounds I can hear deer munching acorns 50 meters away, while dampening any noise above 80db. I shoot a Weatherby 338/378 with a brake and I can tell U it is loud but with my electronic ear muffs it turns the noise off.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

I have never ever worn hearing protection while hunting. I will always wear hearing protection when I pull the trigger. Be it at a target or a game animal.

Neal
Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

Wha'd ya say???
Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Bronze Member

Since discovering the Peltor sound reactive compact ear muffs Ive used hearing protection on every hunt (not done with suppressed weapons).
Prior to them it was a bit hit and miss, but I've had Sonic II earplugs since they came out in the 80s.
I now do the audiometry monitoring and compensation at work and can appreciate the need for hearing protection.
I test guys my age who have worked in loud heavy industry for 20 years but who have religiously worn hearing protection and have perfect hearing. As opposed to younger blokes who have neglected their ears and attended loud concerts and worked in noisy workshops without protection who rate very poorly.

My ears have lost specific frequencies due to short sharp noises. It is possible to distinguish between normal age related hearing loss and noise related. Not hard to guess what they were, 303s and Brens in the 70s high power hunting rifles in the 80s. My epiphany on personal hearing protection in the 90s nearly came too late.
My advice for what it is worth as a registered occupational health nurse and qualified audiologist, if you will take it is; buy the best set of noise cancelling earplugs you can get and they will repay you 10 fold before you are my age (54).
Plus if you are like me, wearing them amplifying muffs or earplugs will bring the world alive for you. It is like having glasses that have a zoom function. Brilliant!
It is a small investment when you look at how much you and I spend on the 'noise maker' and optics.
Your choice.
Happy shooting.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:09 PM

have worn ESP for years. upgraded from analog to digital a couple of years ago. my two young sons, hunting for 4 yrs, have never shot a gun without their electronic muffs on.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Yesterday after a range session in the gongs a big boar wandered out on the range.
In the rush to get my rifle and ammo back out, I forgot to put my muffs on. Shooting a 6.5-284 with a brake with rearward facing baffles, it felt like I'd been slapped over the ears.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:30 PM

I do not because I use a suppressor.