Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?
Poll Options
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 03:59 PM
PUBLISHER

Last night at our Thanksgiving dinner my son's father-in-law was telling me that he took several shots at a deer last week with his lever action 30-30 and now his pre-existing tinnitus is much worse and he lost some more hearing ability.

He said he has never worn hearing protection when he hunts.

I developed mild tinnitus 4 years ago when I failed to wear protection for just ONE shot on a braked magnum rifle during a coyote hunt with new friends. Normally I did wear protection when hunting. I had left it in the truck, 100 yards away, when I discovered I left it behind. Too embarrassed to ask my new friends to wait while I went back and got it.

Now I wear the comfortable and tiny SoundGear Electronic Hearing Protection all the time when hunting. I can wear it comfortably for 12 hour days on a western hunt. I can easily hear my hunting partner acting as a spotter with my hearing protection installed.

I always did and still do wear double protection during practice sessions.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

I try to but alas I like to be able to hear my self when I am stocking. Some day I will be able to buy some electronic hearing protection, that will be the day.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

Hearing protection just hampers your hearing ability
Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Gold Member

Len, thanks for carrying these puppies, SoundGear Electronic Hearing Protection . As you remember, I used them on my CO 3rd Rifle hunt all 9 days. Used the same Duracells ever day and they did good. Too bad I did not get to test them out the 3rd evening but the ELK lived to fight another day...next year.

By the way, I did get the other device to play that little melody....lol.

I will be using them on EVERY hunt for the rest of their lives. My old 1994 SEIMENS (thats 20 years of Church and Hunting) still work but I can't get maint on one that needs a little twieekking...lol. Hope these last at least 10 years with very little use that I will put on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
Hearing protection just hampers your hearing ability

'au contraire' These will Help on both ends of the GUN!

Last edited by T3-OleMan; 11-29-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

If legal, I hunt with a suppressor. Probably not as good as ear plug or muffs but, definetly not too hard on ears.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Silver Member

I usually don't while hunting with a rifle or shotgun, handgun hunting I always use some sort of plugs or muffs. I always use double protection at the range. I have been an avid shooter for 50 years now (wow that sounds like a long time) and in my youthful ignorance I didn't use hearing protection at all. As a result of this, I am, for all practical purposes, deaf in my left ear. I am lucky in one respect, my tinnitus comes and goes so I only have part time ringing. My right ear is still nearly normal though so I try to protect what I still have.

Bob
Old 11-30-2013, 11:07 AM

I do for any playing,and when shooting anything with a brake and I would for sure when a shotgun is in hand,when I'm hunting I have a set of plugs around my neck ready for use if I can stalk and have time to put them in,grizzly country is best on the alert.I've never tried new tech devices,got enough gadgets in a drawer that are useless