I actually do like tracking an animal and I love the feeling of surprise and joy when you follow a good blootrail to find your present laying under the tree. I also bowhunt a lot and this is actually the way I got into the sport of hunting. Following a animal you shot and finding is a great rush, but starring down a nice buck and absolutly dropping him flat on his @$$ with one shot feels pretty dang nice too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I believe that part of the key to being able to do this is using bullets that create this shock effect me and others have been talking about. Being able to do this i think would come in handy for when you don't want a animal to cross a property line, or if you need to put a animal down that may be able to run and fall and therefeore damaged its headgear. I agree that the rush you get from finding a downed animal off of a blood trail is pretty great, but so is slamming one into the dirt without him ever knowing what happened.
Third Generation Shooting Supply www.3rdgss.com
"Products for shooters, by shooters" 1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
[ QUOTE ]
if you could ask 100 outfitters this question and see what they say.i'll bet 95% would want an exit hole.
[/ QUOTE ]
That is because guides deal with every kind of hunter imagineable. 95% of hunters can't hit the broadside of a barn even if they were INSIDE the barn. So the guide knows that if they are going to have a prayer of finding the animal, they better have a blood trail and a chance for a closer second shot. Now, the 5% that can put the bullet where they want it, watch out!! They make the guides job easy!
PS. You need to read PO Ackleys book about killing burros with sub-caliber bullets. The reason it kills is because the smaller calibers transfer kinetic energy (or in other words, HEAT) faster than big calibers. SOlid or not, the bullets were always fired into the head anyway for a quick kill.
The rest of your post is so self contradicting that I don't even know what you're trying to say. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
As far as I am concerned, shooting for a shoulder is a big mistake, unless we are talking about dangerous game with very heavy constructed bullets.
A well placed shot through the heart/lungs is by far the most dependable. Forget about the tracking for a moment.
Ponder just how much an animal can move while the bullet is in flight. I do not understand the shoulder shot, for the life of me. Too many things can go wrong, especially with a spitzer bullet, rather than a solid.
On the other hand. Hit in the boiler room, you stand a better chance of a accurate hit because of the size of the target area. And, it is a lethal placement, 100%. Can't say that about a shoulder, can we?
Punch his ticket through the lungs. (with a moderate exit) That's (by far) the best percentage shot. I'm very surprised to read such varied and incorrect opinions. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
GG,what i'm trying to explain is one reason a pass through is better.some were talking about mushrooming bullets,wound channels,exit holes and shots that don't exit.as far as mushrooming bullets are concerned,it's been proven that a single dia. bullet with a flat front on it will make a larger wound channel than a mushrooming bullet of the same dia. when driven at conventional rifle speeds.the faster the bullet is driven, the greater the advantage it is to the flat nose single dia bullet.this is why a bullet that ZIPS through an animal delivers more shock than one that stops in the animal.as far as outfitters having,as someone put it, a 95% ratio of poor hunters,that's why they would be the perfect ones to ask.bullet style or exit hole won't matter with good shot placement.marginal or poor shot placement would be a better way to evaluate exit hole vs. stay in the animal.if you remember in P.O. Ackley's book he said if he could only have one gun,based on killing power,he would take a 220 swift.as i said before,a 220 with the right solids,is an awesome killing machine.and it's not because the bullets stay inside!