Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you shoot with 1 or Both eyes open?
Only 1 eye 109 42.25%
Both eyes 100 38.76%
Depends on the situation 53 20.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 258. This poll is closed

Do you shoot with 1 or 2 eyes open?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Do you shoot with 1 or 2 eyes open?

weather it's my bow or my rifle scope or iron sights it's one eye closed for me. I can't change now and honestly don't see a reason why.....
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

The Russian International Olympic Team did much research regarding this issue some 30 odd yeas ago and their research showed that if the non-aiming eye is closed during the process of aiming that up to 28% visual acuity is lost in the aiming eye! Some of their shooters wore shooting frame glasses that had attached a fold down plastic 'blinder' over the non-aiming eye to prevent a double image problem.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
The Russian International Olympic Team did much research regarding this issue some 30 odd yeas ago and their research showed that if the non-aiming eye is closed during the process of aiming that up to 28% visual acuity is lost in the aiming eye! Some of their shooters wore shooting frame glasses that had attached a fold down plastic 'blinder' over the non-aiming eye to prevent a double image problem.
I thought I had read that one somewhere...
Thanks for sharing!

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 09-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Bronze Member

I'm cross dominant and I've been trying to reteach myself to shoot left handed. It isn't that big of a deal for scoped rifles, but it seems to be helping immensely with irons, handguns, and especially shotguns.

One of my kids is cross dominant and the rest are righty/righty. The cross dominant one is right-eye dominant, but left handed. They all just shoot right handed.

Matt
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Purveyor of bad jokes.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:27 PM

now as a young buck with a homemade slingshot i used both eyes. i was taught to shoot using one eye with my first bb gun (daisy). same with my 22. i do use both eyes when shooting my shotgun however. im a hunting fool without a cure in sight, thank god.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

I shoot with one eye open normally I can shoot right or left handed never even tried the both eyes open thing, I mite just need to try it
Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB11WYO View Post
So I only recently tried shooting with both eyes open and was wondering which technique you all used. Is one way more beneficial than the other and for what reasons? Are there anatomical benefits to shooting with both eyes versus one eye? Or is shooting with only the dominant eye open most effective? Does it differ depending on application? (ie. competition vs. hunting etc...)

Lets hear your thoughts and experiences!

Thanks!
I usually keep both eyes open so I can scan the perifery for changes down range that might change my mind about puling the trigger but once I am committed to the shot I close my off eye briefly and "git'r done.

Keeping just the scope eye open the whole time can, and sooner or later will get you in trouble.