Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you shoot with 1 or Both eyes open?
Only 1 eye 109 42.25%
Both eyes 100 38.76%
Depends on the situation 53 20.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 258. This poll is closed

Do you shoot with 1 or 2 eyes open?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 PM

Re: Do you shoot with 1 or 2 eyes open?

My dad taught me when I was little to always keep both eyes open, so thats the way Ive been doing it since I was about 6 years old. I have to agree with those that said it is more relaxing to keep both open. It gives a much more natural feel.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Bronze Member

I have been shooting with both eyes open for as long as I can remember. In my adolescents, I was enrolled in cadets where they had a shooting range. My first time there, the range officer noticed I was shooting with both eyes open and proceeded to yelling that I was doing it wrong and should have one eye closed.
After "hearing him out" I tried with one eye closed and couldn't hit the side of a barn for the life of me... more screaming and yelling followed. This guy was a knob... a complete *****!
Once he was done, I went back to both eyes open only to hear him praise me for the terrific shooting. Proudly, I yelled, "That was with both eyes open! Wanna see me try again with one eye???" Needless to say, he shut up rather quickly and to this day, I still shoot with both eyes open. It's just habit... not comfort or any other reason.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

Handgun, shotgun, bow, both eyes open. Rifle, depends on light conditions but there is no difference in accuracy either way. Both open gives faster target acquisition. I have found that regulating my other eye can control the image clarity with glare or low light. IMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

I shoot with one eye open. I know it is better to shoot with both eyes open for a number of reasons, but have not been able to master it yet. Unfortunately, I have a deeply engrained bad habit...
Old 05-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

I can't honestly answer the poll, because I honestly don't know. I think I have both eyes open, I do when I shoot indoor pistol league but when I shoot a rifle, I'm not sure.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Silver Member

Though a scope I sometimes do both it just depends on the situation. Iron sights I always close one eye.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Gold Member

I keep one eye closed with rifle, I'm right handed and left eye dominant, bow I keep both open but, I shoot a bow left handed. Pistol I keep right eye closed but still shoot right handed, though I could keep them both closed and do just about as well, I suck with a hand gun