Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

do you benchrest shoot with a magnum light rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: do you benchrest shoot with a magnum light rifle?

I used to shoot a 375 RUM and 416 Rigby from the bench. In one outing I shot 20 rounds of each from the bench. After 20 rounds with the Rigby it became unbearable. The RUM wasnt near as bad. Neither were braked. I sold the rifles since I don't live in Alaska any longer. I'll never shoot from the bench with heavy hitters without a brake ever again. You'll start to develop a flinch. Well at least I did with the Rigby.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

if you hunt bean feilds or senduro's from a blind, practice from the bench. Otherwise its a waste of time.
I shoot 100% from a bi-pod or backpack for getting data. Even load development. this is anything from a .243WIN to a .338 RUM.
Rear support is crutial, as well as having good Natural point of aim. Lacking either of these you might do okay, but i doubt it could be done consistantly. My rear support is usually my jacket, toque or spare socks.
when shooting off a bi-pod make sure your not straining your muscles by holding yourself up. your support should be off bone.
Just figure out a system that works for you and attempt to perfect it. If thats back pack or bi-pod, rear bag, jacket or mono-pod, whatever works.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Bronze Member

thanks guys,i only ask because i want the gun to SHOOT and know whats its gonna do before i hunt with it. If its all over the paper or within a coffee can sized group,i think thats sloppy shootin and preperation. I don't like blaming the rifle after I have tested it thourghly and prepped it for a hunt.

I like to use a bag off the front(backpack) and some bag support in the back. I got my groups down to under 1" at 100yrds with 140gr Sierra Gamekings. I try to use a solid support being bone and have the butt of the rifle stock held firm agains my shoulder solid.

I will admit I got tighter groups with more tigger time but I would rather muzzle brake the gun.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
A bi pod and rear bag or right knee cap is what I will be using in the field. So...that is how I practice...................... What your asking about are the fundamentals..........solid is always better. Brace the rear with whatever is available. Magnum vs other wise suggests a recoil issue.......when your squeezing the shot just remember: it isn't gonna actually do damage to you and if you pull it off clean the aftermath does not even matter the deed will be done.......... "focus on the before , before worrying about the after".................... one shot at a time. I have had some down right impressive groups from a 8lb 300wsm tikka t3 lite from the bench. The more support you can use the better you'll shoot and it is as simple as that. Universal truth that applies to everyone and is not caliber specific. Good luck
Well said...and I have found many...many...benches to shoot from while out hunting. The call them different names...(Backpack, Rock, Log, Tree, Dirt) but their role is exactly the same. Learn on a regular bench and then spend some time using field benches.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Benchrest shooting is properly done with front and rear sandbags. (that would be a period)

And put your non trigger hand at the rear bag for stability. Bipods are sniperwannabee junque. 7mm's jump more than 300 win mags. Its just the way it is. Good luck.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
Benchrest shooting is properly done with front and rear sandbags. (that would be a period)

And put your non trigger hand at the rear bag for stability. Bipods are sniperwannabee junque. 7mm's jump more than 300 win mags. Its just the way it is. Good luck.
Do you pack your 25lb "proper" benchrest rifle and bench out hunting? Bipods are game changers in the field and oddly enough my 7MMs don't kick as hard as my 300s but I do not shoot "proper"............ I live and shoot in the real world. Visit us there some time..................Duke
Old 04-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

And put your non trigger hand at the rear bag for stability. Bipods are sniperwannabee junque. 7mm's jump more than 300 win mags. Its just the way it is. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Hmm thats funny. guys like Darrel Holland, Shawn Carlock, Kirdy Allen and other established long range HUNTERs use them because they feel that it extends their effective range. I use one when my gun isnt in my backpack, because I'm a long range hunter and i feel that its worth the wieght. I guess I just want to be a sniper. If you have a 1911 your a SEAL or something right (is that what they use?)?

*** LONG RANGE HUNTING FORUM***