Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

do you benchrest shoot with a magnum light rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Bronze Member

do you benchrest shoot with a magnum light rifle?

im curious to know if any of you use a light 7-8pd rifle at the bench to shoot. im trying to use my 7 rem mag in factory weight. boy its tough! with muzzle jump im getting between 1moa and 2moa at 100yrd groups. hard to keep it tight and shoot good groups. I know it can do it but its the shooters fault why it can't.

how do you shoot light rifles at the bench or in the field to get good consistant groups?

im not using a rear sandbag or any aids for stability,just a bi-pod and me.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Gold Member

Re: do you benchrest shoot with a magnum light rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
im curious to know if any of you use a light 7-8pd rifle at the bench to shoot. im trying to use my 7 rem mag in factory weight. boy its tough! with muzzle jump im getting between 1moa and 2moa at 100yrd groups. hard to keep it tight and shoot good groups. I know it can do it but its the shooters fault why it can't.

how do you shoot light rifles at the bench or in the field to get good consistant groups?

im not using a rear sandbag or any aids for stability,just a bi-pod and me.
haven't shot with a magnum, but even with my .308, there's a huge difference between using a bi-pod and a bag for a front rest, like going from sub MOA to 2-3 MOA on a bad day. one thing is, have a towel or somethinng under the bipod, it will help absorb the vibrations and should reduce jump somewhat
Old 04-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

Take a look at this thread:

The importance of being Solid

I've found that if trying to shoot without solid rear support my POI can vary significantly. I use front and rear bags from a bench, and rear bags when using a bipod in the field. Doing so minimizes the difference between them, at least in my experience so far.

Last fall we were trying various scenarios to prepare for a hunt. Going from bench to bipod didn't make much difference as we kept the rifles supported both times. Move to a standing tripod at 300 yards where you have no rest under the rear of the rifle and you're now standing as well... wow did those groups open up. A bit of an extreme example, but you'll see the same thing when prone or on a bench if the rear isn't supported too.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

From the bench I always use a padded front support and rear sand bag. I tried the bipod method years ago and got inconsistent results.
I don't have any light rifles, mine are all 11+ lbs, but it's critical that I have my right arm/elbow supported, moreso when shooting from field positions. A solid rest up front is little comfort when the rear is unsupported. JohnnyK.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

I had a rem 700 sps .308 that I built up for target shooting. Put it in a b/c medalist m40 stock adn fed it some really nice handloads. it would shoot sub 1/2 moa off of bags, as soon as i switched to a bi-pod and rear bag groups would open up to 1.5 moa. Putting a towel or something under the bi-pod feet would help but it still wouldn't shoot as good as just off of sand bags. Best advice i could give is to put a stock on it with an aluminum bedding block and make sure the barrel is free floated. Next, make sure you're shooting quality ammo and try to match the bullet weight to you rifling twist rate.

happy shooting
Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

7lb 270WSM... Bipod and a rear bag produce the best results for me. Get off the bench, I've never seen one hunting!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

A bi pod and rear bag or right knee cap is what I will be using in the field. So...that is how I practice...................... What your asking about are the fundamentals..........solid is always better. Brace the rear with whatever is available. Magnum vs other wise suggests a recoil issue.......when your squeezing the shot just remember: it isn't gonna actually do damage to you and if you pull it off clean the aftermath does not even matter the deed will be done.......... "focus on the before , before worrying about the after".................... one shot at a time. I have had some down right impressive groups from a 8lb 300wsm tikka t3 lite from the bench. The more support you can use the better you'll shoot and it is as simple as that. Universal truth that applies to everyone and is not caliber specific. Good luck