Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Do Muzzle Brakes Effect Accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: Do Muzzle Brakes Effect Accuracy?

BountyHunter,
So what you're saying is a muzzle brake will help my love life? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I don't even want to know how!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2004, 05:27 AM
Platinum Member

Chris

Supposed to help "relief pressure on back of your bullet!"

BH
Old 05-14-2004, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

My wife is worried it might change my "barrel harmonics" ! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Silver Member

I make my own brakes,and garentee as good or better accuracy.I have the customer load 20 rounds... all identical.Do a B-4 and after test.They HAVE to be put on STRAIGHT...I`ve used Stainless steel,mild steel,aluminum,and delrin....They all work.Some times they`ll change POI.But only IF they change barrel harmonics in a negative way,you have to weight differently..
Old 05-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Would not worry. That all depends on "how well the load is tuned!"

PS Tests have shown that short fat barrels shoot better than long skinny ones. However, "fluting the barrel" will change the harmonics. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

BH

[ 05-14-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]
Old 05-16-2004, 12:54 PM

I just sent my Tikka back to Beretta with a quailty muzzle brake on it. I was not getting the quality of groups I was getting with my Sako TRG 22 and the Tikka was supposed to be a tack driver right out of the box. My Tikka contennintal long range hunter was a 300WM and was shooting 2-4" groups at 100 yards. I put a muzzle brake on it and it helped a little since I was not being beat to death each time I pulled the trigger. I sent it back and wanted to know if beretta would fix it since it had a brake put on it or blame the group size on me for putting on a brake? Has anyone had experence with Beretta? Please reply.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

I wonder-
If ports were EDM cut into the last few inches(like shotguns), couldn't some of the muzzle pressure be relieved, prior to bullet exit?
This hopefully, without stripping/buildup of jacket material.