Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Do Muzzle Brakes Effect Accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Bronze Member

Do Muzzle Brakes Effect Accuracy?

I just bought a used ULA in 22-250 with a Varmint Brake (no holes on bottom) installed by High Performance Gun Smithing. The brake is effective, but I am not willing to sacrafice accuracy. I am starting to test loads with and without the brake, but this doubles my load development efforts and I have not yet come to any cnclusions. I am also considering installing a brake on my .243AI.
I am interested in your respective experiences regarding muzzle brakes and accuracy. Thanks, Robert
Old 05-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do Muzzle Brakes Effect Accuracy?

If the brake is not perfectly centered to the axis of the rifle bore when it is installed this will make an otherwise accurate rifle inaccurate! The brake I had on my WarBird eroded on the inside of the hole at the end of the muzzle brake, this turned my 1/2" rifle into a 6-8" rifle. when my groups started to open up I just about drove myself nuts trying different powders and bullets to group. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Yes, muzzle brakes could effect accuracy in a bad way like if there aren't made right or not attached in the right way. If you get a good one like the OPS Inc or S1's it will enhance it. I think all rifles should be made to the best they can be which is why most if not all of mine will have one.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the input. Keep those cards and letters coming.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Cards and letters?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

The guys are right on- if a brake is not put on correctly and the bullet hits the brake it will turn the rifle into a 6" as stated.
If the brake is put on right it will not affect accuracy (group size) but it can and most likely will change point of impact.
You need to decide to use the brake or not and then develop you load with or w/o and stick to that. Switching back and forth will just burn up your barrel faster and get you nowhere.
I installed over a 100 brakes last year, about half of them on proven rifles and didn't have 1 single report of the brake changing accuracy adversely. If anything the brakes improved accuracy by reducing recoil therfore reducing flinching.

[ 05-11-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]
Old 05-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

Whether or not they are too loud,(I use hearing protection at all times anyway) I think they look pretty cool. Plus they freak out everyone at the range (especially the ones sitting next to you [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]) and they all look your way. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]