Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

do muzzle brakes effect accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2004, 08:07 AM
Bronze Member

do muzzle brakes effect accuracy?

I am currently looking to pick up either a 300rum or 338 rum sendero. will put it in a heavy stock for long range target shooting. may consider putting on a muzzle brake (OPS, VAISS). does adding a brake effect the accuracy?
Old 01-17-2004, 09:14 AM

Re: do muzzle brakes effect accuracy?

Any time you amke any change to a barrel wether it be lenght adding or subtracting weight your going to have an impact on accuracy due to the change of barrel harmonics.
I had a 340Wby that shot great with a load I worked up but it kicked like a mule , had a Vias brake instaled , accuracy went to the bucket. I asked the smith about it he said to tinker with the load a little. I added 2grs and the groups went back to normal.

Over all I say that the accuracy improved because the recoil was cut way down and I'm not preoccupied with getting smacked in the shoulder as hard.

I had got a JP brake and put it on one time to see if their was any real differance in recoil reduction , the JP works a hell of alot better , but its ALOT louder and realy ugly , works good though , but I stuck with the Vias.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Gold Member

I had a Sendero S/F .300RUM that I got used. Put a brake on, and didnt notice any difference in accuracy. I did notice alot of difference in recoil reduction though. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It's a great factory rifle. I would encourage you to get a trigger job if it's factory. The brake is optional. But, it made my rifle better.,sakofan..
Old 01-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Bronze Member

what type of brake did you put on the sendero. by the way....I just picked up my sendero in 300 rum today. yeeha, on my way. also ordered a 6.5-20 50mm long range target mil dot silver from Premier. I am thinking of trying the choate ultimate sniper stock. I will add a bunch of lead in the stock for added weight. should work nice. I handled a savage varmint with the ultimate varmint version. was big, heavy, and found it to be very comfortable. would like a mcmillan but just can't see the $500 for the stock. will be shooting the 190gr SMK. hope this all works well.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

sounds like a great setup! tell me how you like the Chaote stock .... I may get me one if I buy the Savage. I've got a BOSS on my 300wm, and a KDF on a 308w, a Serbu on the 50bmg. I like using brakes ... and hearing protection. It helps me shoot better!
The 308win, would not have been braked but I set it up for my son when he was 11 yrs old. Now at 17 he shoots everything and VERY accurately.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:18 AM

i may be wrong but the things ive seen about muzzle brakes is that if its not done right like a crown job,if the dosnt let muzzle blast leave the same on all sides of the bullet the pressure change can through the bullet off like a chamber or throat not centerd to bore. and also id think if you dont have pressure releaf hole the same on opposite side it could hirt accurasy.
i had the jp on a 300 win mag with a complete leight of 15'' and it does the job and it was so noisy too. id like to try magnaporting http://www.varmintal.com/ashot.htm#Muzzle_Brakes
jason
Old 01-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Silver Member

Out of the several brakes that I have, I like the KDF the best!!!