Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Do I really need a 300 WM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Bronze Member

Do I really need a 300 WM?

Do I really need a 300 WM for longer shots on elk (300+ yards)?

I have a .243 and want something for elk and target shooting to better myself as a shooter. The more I think about it...do I really have the skill to take an elk at 500+ yards? I have never even shot a target past 400 yards. Would I be better off with a .270, .308, maybe a 7 MAG?.

The recoil of the 300 WM may not be worth the ability for long range hunting that the 300 WM gives me, especially if I want to target shoot a decent amount.

What are your guys' thoughts...
Old 05-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: Do I really need a 300 WM?

I would get a 30/06 for the ranges you speak of there is lots of load data, barrel life is great, and ammo is cheap. Its plenty for elk and its recoil is mild compared to the belted magnums...

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohring3006 View Post
I would get a 30/06 for the ranges you speak of there is lots of load data, barrel life is great, and ammo is cheap. Its plenty for elk and its recoil is mild compared to the belted magnums...
Yea...I guess the 30/06 is the tride and true american round haha

I mentioned the 7MAG because it has quite a bit less recoil than the 300, but ya it may be better to go with a non-magnum
Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Do I really need a 300 WM for longer shots on elk (300+ yards)?

I have a .243 and want something for elk and target shooting to better myself as a shooter. The more I think about it...do I really have the skill to take an elk at 500+ yards? I have never even shot a target past 400 yards. Would I be better off with a .270, .308, maybe a 7 MAG?.

The recoil of the 300 WM may not be worth the ability for long range hunting that the 300 WM gives me, especially if I want to target shoot a decent amount.

What are your guys' thoughts...
Since you're still learning I'd say go for the best of all worlds and go with the 30-06. Not as cheap to laod for or buy ammo for as the .308 but not bad either.

It's also a caliber most certainly suited for Elk to at least 600yds and has considerably less recoil than the .300wm.

that said the 7mm Rem and 300wm to me are the two most versatile calibers of all time which is why they both still have such popularity even with all of the new "cool calibers".
Old 05-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Bronze Member

Well I will tell you this. I shot my buddies Remington Sendro in 300 ULTRA MAG with a 150gr. I didn't think the recoil was bad at all since it is an 8.5lb gun. With that being said I am not sure how much the recoil would be with a 180+ grain bullet.

That is my biggest worry. I just have never shot anything over a 150 grain bullet so I don't know what to expect with the 300WM if I was shooting something with a higher grain.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Bronze Member

I think the 30-06 may be a good way to go...
Old 05-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Well I will tell you this. I shot my buddies Remington Sendro in 300 ULTRA MAG with a 150gr. I didn't think the recoil was bad at all since it is an 8.5lb gun. With that being said I am not sure how much the recoil would be with a 180+ grain bullet.

That is my biggest worry. I just have never shot anything over a 150 grain bullet so I don't know what to expect with the 300WM if I was shooting something with a higher grain.
It's not the bullet weight that gets you it's the extra powder. If you were shooting 150gr in the rum it was probably a reduced load. The weight of the rifle will make a big difference as well which is why weight figures into the felt recoil calculation.

The 06 has probably killed more game from 100yds and beyond than any other caliber in the US.