Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Do I really need a 300 WM?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cave Creek, AZ & Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 68
Do I really need a 300 WM?

Do I really need a 300 WM for longer shots on elk (300+ yards)?

I have a .243 and want something for elk and target shooting to better myself as a shooter. The more I think about it...do I really have the skill to take an elk at 500+ yards? I have never even shot a target past 400 yards. Would I be better off with a .270, .308, maybe a 7 MAG?.

The recoil of the 300 WM may not be worth the ability for long range hunting that the 300 WM gives me, especially if I want to target shoot a decent amount.

What are your guys' thoughts...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ohio
Posts: 575
Re: Do I really need a 300 WM?

I would get a 30/06 for the ranges you speak of there is lots of load data, barrel life is great, and ammo is cheap. Its plenty for elk and its recoil is mild compared to the belted magnums...
__________________
"those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson.

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others


Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cave Creek, AZ & Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 68
Re: Do I really need a 300 WM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohring3006 View Post
I would get a 30/06 for the ranges you speak of there is lots of load data, barrel life is great, and ammo is cheap. Its plenty for elk and its recoil is mild compared to the belted magnums...
Yea...I guess the 30/06 is the tride and true american round haha

I mentioned the 7MAG because it has quite a bit less recoil than the 300, but ya it may be better to go with a non-magnum
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,577
Re: Do I really need a 300 WM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Do I really need a 300 WM for longer shots on elk (300+ yards)?

I have a .243 and want something for elk and target shooting to better myself as a shooter. The more I think about it...do I really have the skill to take an elk at 500+ yards? I have never even shot a target past 400 yards. Would I be better off with a .270, .308, maybe a 7 MAG?.

The recoil of the 300 WM may not be worth the ability for long range hunting that the 300 WM gives me, especially if I want to target shoot a decent amount.

What are your guys' thoughts...
Since you're still learning I'd say go for the best of all worlds and go with the 30-06. Not as cheap to laod for or buy ammo for as the .308 but not bad either.


It's also a caliber most certainly suited for Elk to at least 600yds and has considerably less recoil than the .300wm.

that said the 7mm Rem and 300wm to me are the two most versatile calibers of all time which is why they both still have such popularity even with all of the new "cool calibers".
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cave Creek, AZ & Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 68
Re: Do I really need a 300 WM?

Well I will tell you this. I shot my buddies Remington Sendro in 300 ULTRA MAG with a 150gr. I didn't think the recoil was bad at all since it is an 8.5lb gun. With that being said I am not sure how much the recoil would be with a 180+ grain bullet.

That is my biggest worry. I just have never shot anything over a 150 grain bullet so I don't know what to expect with the 300WM if I was shooting something with a higher grain.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cave Creek, AZ & Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 68
Re: Do I really need a 300 WM?

I think the 30-06 may be a good way to go...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,577
Re: Do I really need a 300 WM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Well I will tell you this. I shot my buddies Remington Sendro in 300 ULTRA MAG with a 150gr. I didn't think the recoil was bad at all since it is an 8.5lb gun. With that being said I am not sure how much the recoil would be with a 180+ grain bullet.

That is my biggest worry. I just have never shot anything over a 150 grain bullet so I don't know what to expect with the 300WM if I was shooting something with a higher grain.
It's not the bullet weight that gets you it's the extra powder. If you were shooting 150gr in the rum it was probably a reduced load. The weight of the rifle will make a big difference as well which is why weight figures into the felt recoil calculation.

The 06 has probably killed more game from 100yds and beyond than any other caliber in the US.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC