Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Do I need a 338 Edge? Sound good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Do I need a 338 Edge? Sound good?

The 338 Edge is a hell of a round. Easy to load for, brass is relatively affordable, decent quality, not overly strong but that keeps you out of trouble as far as overpressuring your hand loads.

Its probably one of the easiest to load for wildcats out there and has great long range ballistic and terminal performance so you could hardly ask for more that way.

In the Rem 700 platform, the 338 Edge is about the largest chambering I recommend to my customers.

To that point, if you have to purchase a Rem 700 donor receiver and you plan on having it fully accurized before the build (which I would recommend for best results), Your money would be much better spend just getting a full custom receiver like the Borden Timberline Magnum receiver. By the time you pay for a Rem 700 donor receiver, especially stainless steel and then pay to get it trued up properly, it will cost as much if not more then the Borden and the Borden will be ready to build on right out of the box.

It also is vastly superior to the factory receiver in many ways including resell value. It also works with all Rem 700 bottom metal and magazine boxes, Same Rem 700 triggers and any stock inletted for the Rem 700 can be easily modified for the Borden receiver. that is whereI would recommend you spend you money IF you need to purchase the receiver for this project.

If you have the receiver already, I can see using the Rem 700.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatfield954 View Post
Personally, I think everyone on this site(members and non-members) has a 338 of some sort.. well except me

I'm currently without.

Your component choices look pretty good, except maybe the HTG handle. If you've had one, got one, used one...etc, and you like it, great. If not, put your hands on a rifle with one before you buy. I've got a lot of McMillans, and I can honestly say the HTG is my least favorite.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatfield954 View Post
Personally, I think everyone on this site(members and non-members) has a 338 of some sort.. well except me
Nope I skip right from .300 to 45/70.. .
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Gold Member

every boby needs a edge and the best one is a 338edge
Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the input!

I've been wanting a 260 forever, but with the 7 SAUM I'm thinking why a 260? That's my hang up here...small or way bigger?

I'm thinking now maybe another A3 or A1-3 would fit the bill really well with a #5 338 barrel? What do you think?

Kirby I love the custom actions and the Bordine is amazing, but It looks like I've found a donor action for $425, and I think a local smith will lap the lugs, square the face, cut the threads, chamber, crown, etc for $350. Does that sound reasonable??

What do you charge for "blueprinting" and chamber and crowning?

Thanks for the input again!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPK View Post
Thanks for the input!

I've been wanting a 260 forever, but with the 7 SAUM I'm thinking why a 260? That's my hang up here...small or way bigger?

I'm thinking now maybe another A3 or A1-3 would fit the bill really well with a #5 338 barrel? What do you think?

Kirby I love the custom actions and the Bordine is amazing, but It looks like I've found a donor action for $425, and I think a local smith will lap the lugs, square the face, cut the threads, chamber, crown, etc for $350. Does that sound reasonable??

What do you charge for "blueprinting" and chamber and crowning?

Thanks for the input again!
I'm going to put my 7mm STW in one of the new McMillan A-3 sporters.

Without a doubt one of the nicest blends of tactical/practical and hunting stocks anyone ever put together.'

They are not shown on the website but they are making them and you can call and order them directly.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

You need one about as much as anybody needs a corvette.

So yeah, you need one!

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.