Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Do I need a 20 MOA base?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Do I need a 20 MOA base?

Dont have any yet. I am just putting this rifle together then its barrel break-in, then load development. I used the load data calculator on the Zeiss website and it does not tell me whether I would need one bit it does give me all the lines out to 800 so I am guessing it is not necessary but may be beneficial. I will put one on if it is not going to hinder me at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcpo View Post
Give me your load data and Ill run the numbers in my program to see how much elevation you need to get there.
retiredcpo
Old 02-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

The only way I see that it could maybe hinder you, would be if the scope doesn't have enough elevation in it to use the reticle like it's designed to be used (assuming you want to use it for holdover out to X distance).

This is probably very unlikely, but I see it as a possibility. A 20 moa base will mean that you'll have to crank the reticle up further to sight in at the desired bar/dot, whatever.............most likely, it wont be an issue.

Only other downside I know of is possibly having to use slightly taller rings when mounting the scope, because the objective bell will be closer to the barrel with a 20 minute rail............really depends on how heavy and thick the barrel is though. Most likely, this wont matter either.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for the info guys
Old 02-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

The major benefit is that it ensures you that you'll have plenty of elevation for 1k and that you'll be near the center of your adjustments at 1k so that you'll have maximum windage adjustment for long range.

You will be slightly limited in your windage adjustment at close range where it's not a factor anyway.

The forward cant is very slight and I have not had to change rings on any of my rifles including one with a 1.25" barrel.

You can still use the fancy reticle without impairment when you wish to do so. And, I would caution against the idea of dialing part way and then using the reticle to get the rest of the way.

I have found the EGW 20 MOA picatinny rail and Burris Tactical Elite Rings to be of excellent quality and value.

The biggest advantage is that it becomes very easy to swap scopes between rifles.

Good luck!
Richard
Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM

I'm late for a response, But . . .

Seekins is GREAT stuff - but it is EXPENSIVE! $120 to $180 for a base . . .

Try Evolution Gun Works (EGW). I have several, and they only cost $30 to $50.

EXCELLENT quality!

www.egwguns.com

John R