Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

dilemma: Need Info Prior to Decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

dilemma: Need Info Prior to Decision

I've developed a fondness for this site; its become my "breakfast non-edible repast" and I'd like to get educated some more along the following lines:

I have a M70 Stainless Classic in 375 H&H early nineties production. I "re-floated" the barrel, inserted an 11 ounce mercury recoil suppressor in the butt stock, adjusted the trigger to three and a half pounds and re-bedded the action using Brownell's stainless steel [epoxy] bed. For sights I put a red linear "glower" front, Leupold detachable rings & base holding a Leupold VIII 1.5-5 with Butler Creek modified snap caps over ocular and objective lenses. It has a Hunter sling on my own rings. It weighs 10.5# loaded with three cartridges and the recoil is about like that of my 270 M70. It shoots a little less than two inch groups with my hand loads (270 gr. Barnes w/IMR 4320) averaging five reloads before the case begins to split. I carry this rifle on my boat when it's not on my back excepting between October and May first or so; I live in Arctic Alaska and, yes, I've had to use it. That's why I have it. However, I carry it these days no more than seven tenths of a mile. Don't ask. Its been on the Discovery Channel in Alaska Most Extreme concerning a bear in a cabin and yours truly. So its had its fifteen minutes as have I--whom is on the wrong side of 65.

I'm either going to sell this rifle or convert it to a LRH; I'm undecided. Let's get a discussion going to widen my horizons so to speak: To Sell or To Rebuild? (There are some fundamental rigidities so to speak: the only action I'd use is M70 CRF and if I do sell I'll be chatting with MRC about one of their largest PH in SS. Twenty pounds or so would be ideal with say a 28" heavy w/Muscle #4 brake and retaining that mercury suppressor for sure. And no belted brass--please!)

Last edited by alcesgigas; 07-27-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: accidental save--need to correct and finish title--please.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: dilemma: Need Info Prior to Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcesgigas View Post
I've developed a fondness for this site; its become my "breakfast non-edible repast" and I'd like to get educated some more along the following lines:

I have a M70 Stainless Classic in 375 H&H early nineties production. I "re-floated" the barrel, inserted an 11 ounce mercury recoil suppressor in the butt stock, adjusted the trigger to three and a half pounds and re-bedded the action using Brownell's stainless steel [epoxy] bed. For sights I put a red linear "glower" front, Leupold detachable rings & base holding a Leupold VIII 1.5-5 with Butler Creek modified snap caps over ocular and objective lenses. It has a Hunter sling on my own rings. It weighs 10.5# loaded with three cartridges and the recoil is about like that of my 270 M70. It shoots a little less than two inch groups with my hand loads (270 gr. Barnes w/IMR 4320) averaging five reloads before the case begins to split. I carry this rifle on my boat when it's not on my back excepting between October and May first or so; I live in Arctic Alaska and, yes, I've had to use it. That's why I have it. However, I carry it these days no more than seven tenths of a mile. Don't ask. Its been on the Discovery Channel in Alaska Most Extreme concerning a bear in a cabin and yours truly. So its had its fifteen minutes as have I--whom is on the wrong side of 65.

I'm either going to sell this rifle or convert it to a LRH; I'm undecided. Let's get a discussion going to widen my horizons so to speak: To Sell or To Rebuild? (There are some fundamental rigidities so to speak: the only action I'd use is M70 CRF and if I do sell I'll be chatting with MRC about one of their largest PH in SS. Twenty pounds or so would be ideal with say a 28" heavy w/Muscle #4 brake and retaining that mercury suppressor for sure. And no belted brass--please!)
Considering it's the only action you want to mess with and the memories you have with this gun I'd say stay with what you have and love and build a 338, 300, or 7mm Rum, or one of the other 338's.

Might as well have everything you want in the package you are already in love with.

My leaning would be towards the 300 Rum unless you PLAN on going after the big bears with it.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

Thank you; no doubt the reason (s) for dilemma, and I am considering the 300RUM and the 300LM, but then there's those pesky Allen magnums to contemplate...

The only reason I must consider selling the 375 is one of conscience--and longevity. It's easier to get away with a build if I really need it or look, I don't have the big gun anymore and You know how that pre-war M70 270 kicks. I could always win her over with, "I'll carry it myself..." And, if necessary, more hyperbole, ranting, begging, etc., for the treasurer's approval. See my wife takes on a sunburned color when I mention rifles...

Last edited by alcesgigas; 07-27-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 07-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcesgigas View Post
Thank you; no doubt the reason (s) for dilemma, and I am considering the 300RUM and the 300LM, but then there's those pesky Allen magnums to contemplate...

The only reason I must consider selling the 375 is one of conscience--and longevity. It's easier to get away with a build if I really need it or look, I don't have the big gun anymore and You know how that pre-war M70 270 kicks. I could always win her over with, "I'll carry it myself..." And, if necessary, more hyperbole, ranting, begging, etc., for the treasurer's approval. See my wife takes on a sunburned color when I mention rifles...
"Honey this barrel is pretty well shot out and if I rebarrel it in 300Rum with a good muzzle brake I'll bet you'll have fun shooting it too"... .
Old 07-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Gold Member

You might want to consider those other "pesky" calibers that APS is starting to make as well: The Allen Raptor series. They kinda fall in between the Xpresses and the Magnums. He does have some rather neuveaux ideas!!

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 07-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

If I were in your situation and I have shot them or variants of them for many years it would be the 338 Lapua.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

You could be right WildRose. I can her response, "Yeah, at you." Actually she's always been supportive or my ideas, most of the time--how about neutral? Sometimes?

I should have mentioned: There's a lake that I shot a few moose on that offers shots in excess of sensibility. So, of course this is what prompts me to fantasize about sleeping one up to, say, a mile, but that's not likely to happen on my present M70's action. And I'd want the rifle to weigh in over 50# because 50BMG & variants, 408CheyTac & variants shoot out both ends quite noticeably. I get there by boat then drag a canoe 200' to the lake. So a laptop, GPS, spotting scope, bench and rifle is doable. It's surely a diversion!

I'd really have to work up to shots over 600 yards, but I do have places to do that. Could the 375 be re-barreled to what LR caliber?