Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Bronze Member

Dilemma

Ok this not really a long range gun but here's the problem I have a rem 700 ADL 222 REM that I shot my first deer with and my oldest son shot his first deer with also I don't know exactly how old the gun is because my grandfather bought the gun for my uncles when they were kids at firestone lol nothing has ever been done to the rifle the rifle is a tack driver but the stock is getting old past refinishing and the scope is getting cloudy do I 1 put new stock and glass 2 new stock glass and rebarrel in same cal or 3 same as 2 but different cal also kinda don't want to even mess with it cuz it holds sentimental value and it shoots
Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: Dilemma

I would just put new glass on it and enjoy it. Once you strip it down who knows what you will get ("tack driver"). Never mind the story your son will have when he hands it down to his son or daughter.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah..just put a new scope on it and go.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

+1 for new glass
Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

By the time you buy a stock, new barrel and have the barrel installed you will have the same money in buying a new rifle. You can pick up a fairly good shooting package rifle set up for $500. You will have $250 in a stock and $300 in a new barrel plus labor. The old stock you have may have some nicks, dings and scratches that is what I call used and not a closet queen. Last year I picked up a Vangaurd 7RM new in box for $300. It had been in the store for over a year and said make an offer. 30 min later it was in the truck. I sold it for $450 half an hour later. What I am saying is, if you look around a little you can pick up a good deal for less that what you will have in messing up a family hand me down.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member

Some things are better left alone. New glass is the best way to go. Sounds like a good family conversation piece.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

I would rebuild it with your oldest sons help and then go on using it . It will maintain the family link and insure it will not be forgotten in the back of the closet. I know the I would want my legacy to be the everyday hunter and not a safe queen.