Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Difference in custom guns....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Difference in custom guns....

Question for the hive....

Considering (maybe decided to get?) a custom or semi custom gun...maybe a matter of timing. But my question is how much you get on a $5k-$7k gun vs a $2k-$4k semi-custom or custom gun...somewhat of an arbitrary range, but comparing a handful of guns / smiths.

In the $2-$4k range is Cooper, which has a 1/2 MOA guarantee, as well as some other custom builders who are sponsors here.

In the $5k+ range are other sponsors whom I will not call by name, but well known, more 'name brand' smiths.

I can completely appreciate fine craftsmanship, but just wondering what sets those apart if they shoot in the 1/2 MOA range. If it is reputation/demand and/or craftsmanship, I am fine with that - not complaining at all. But wondering how much is actually a functional difference vs a demand/brand difference. Or it could be that as you get closer to diminishing returns, incremental improvements are expensive...ie 1/4 MOA vs 1/2 MOA difference is very tough and takes a lot of work and significantly more $$.

I am NOT knocking anyone...not asking anyone to bad mouth any high end smiths. Just trying to make an educated decision, knowing that quality costs money and can be appreciated, but needs to be balanced against functional difference and the incremental $.

Thx.

Last edited by The Oregonian; 03-28-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Difference in custom guns....

With all things being done right and quality parts and custom barrels used A $2,000.00 to
$3,000.00 rifle should shoot as well as a $8,000.00 rifle But It may not be as pretty or have the
name.

All custom rifles should shoot under 1/2 MOA in my opinion and it is not unusual for them to shoot
under 1/4 MOA.

If a builder sets out to build a 1/2 MOA rifle that Is his standard. If he sets out to build a 1/4 MOA rifle
but granites 1/2 MOA normally the rifle will shoot well under 1/2 MOA and normally under 1.4 MOA.

The difference is in the attitude (It will shoot 1/2 MOA so thats good enough. As apposed to "Thats the best I can do" and most of the time it will shoot less than a 1/4 MOA.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Gold Member

I have a custom Rem Model 7 with a fluted Brux barrel reamed for the 243 Tactical Match. It shoots right at .5 moa. All-in cost was about $1,500 w/o scope. I recently bought a Savage Edge in 243 to use as a beater "truck gun". Spent a little more than $300 for the rifle. I threw on some rings and a cheap $125 scope. It shoots lights out and will hold .5 moa, if I do my part.

Dollars are not always a guaranty for accuracy.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

The main reason that I believe that people go custom is for longrange purposes. You don't really need a custom $5k rifle that you will only be shooting out to 600 yards with unless you just want one. The reason that I went with a full on custom rifle is for the consistency that it will get me at 1K yards and beyond. There are TONS of factory rifles that will shoot .5 MOA or less at 100 yards on a consistent basis. Heck, there are tons of factory rifles that will shoot .5 MOA at 600 yards. But there are VERY, VERY, few IF ANY factory rifles that will hold their own with a full custom rifle at LR and ELR shooting distances.

The care and tight tolerances that are utitlized in the making of a full custom gives it the ability to shoot tighter groups at the longer ranges over and over again with the right handloads and a good shooter.

Now a semi custom may well hold its own with a full on custom but I havnt owned a semi custom nor have I shot one so I cant tell you.

My custom 338 Lapua is absolutely amazing in the make and feel of it. It has been a .3-.4 MOA rifle all the way out to 700 yards so far. On monday, I shot a three shot group at 700 yards with this rifle that measured 1.25". I am going to let that one go as luck but I do believe that the rifle is capable of doing it if I am.

Hopefully by April, I will have broken the 1K mark with this gun.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Curious, if a 10000.00 rifle shoots .5 MOA at 600 and a $500.00 rifles does the same why is there is a difference let's say beyond 1000? I would have imagined at this point the bullet has stabilized and is going to do what a bullet does independent of the thunderstick that threw it.

I say if a person can afford custom, go custom. There is just something magical in the way they feel and function. I shot a 12000.00 rifle recently and really liked it. My 750.00 stocker will shoot right with it, but if feels different.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
Curious, if a 10000.00 rifle shoots .5 MOA at 600 and a $500.00 rifles does the same why is there is a difference let's say beyond 1000? I would have imagined at this point the bullet has stabilized and is going to do what a bullet does independent of the thunderstick that threw it.
Exactly how I feel...are we missing something?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post

I say if a person can afford custom, go custom. There is just something magical in the way they feel and function. I shot a 12000.00 rifle recently and really liked it. My 750.00 stocker will shoot right with it, but if feels different.

All I am saying is that the custom will do it on a more consistant basis than the factory rifle. A lot of people say that their factory rifle shoots .5 MOA everytime but I am betting that it doesnt. I used to think that I had one that shot .5MOA groups everytime until I started logging all of my shots and saw that it was not as consistant as I thought.