Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

difference in 7 MMs ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: difference in 7 MMs ?????

Your idea to use a 7mm was a good one for your entended use.

My recommendation having owned a 7/08,7WSM,7RM,7STW and a 7mm RUM would be to
determine your minimum hunting range,maximum hunting/shooting range,max-game size to
be hunted and the energy necessary for a clean one shot kill.( I like to use 1500ft/lbs energy
for Elk size game and 1000ft/lbs for deer size game at your self imposed maximum range.

Once this has been decided on look at each cartridge using the optimum bullet weight for
that round and look at down range ballistics for each and see which on best suits your
needs

I ran a couple of the most popular cartridges using the normal bullet weight and velocity
of factory ammo and this will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

The 7/08 = using 1500ft/lbs of energy for Elk. yardages were 350 yards.
Using 1000ft/lbs of energy for deer the yardage was 600yards,

The 7RM and the 7WSM are about the same and the energy's were
550 for Elk and 825 for deer.

The 7 STW and the 7mm RUM are within 100ft/sec so I looked at the STW and it's energy's.
Were =675 yards for Elk and 900 yards for deer.

With different loads and bullet weights these can vary some but they are close.

These energy's are "recommended" not required but it is a starting point.

I have killed deer with the 7/08 beyond 500 yards and with the 7STW beyond 800 yrds
and all have fell where they were shot.

So do a little research first and be honest with your self on the distance and you can make
a educated decision.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

My choice in 7mm would be a 7mm WSM in a long action/long magazine to allow the heavier high BC bullets to be seated out. I would choose a preferred bullet and throat the barrel to that bullet and magazine. It think it would perform very well for its case capacity the recoil and barrel life would be good. That being said the 7mm Rem Mag is very popular and would be very close in performance.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3006savage View Post
My choice in 7mm would be a 7mm WSM in a long action/long magazine to allow the heavier high BC bullets to be seated out. I would choose a preferred bullet and throat the barrel to that bullet and magazine. It think it would perform very well for its case capacity the recoil and barrel life would be good. That being said the 7mm Rem Mag is very popular and would be very close in performance.
I've seen a couple of posts on this and I thought the same about the heavier longer bullets in the and it is true, that the mag length (in my Sako) requires seating longer bullets deeper. However, there is a lot of freebore in my rifle (Finnlight 300 WSM) and in order to seat a 210 Berger to the lands the bearing surface of the bullet only catches about 2/3rds of the neck. Soooo.... both... the mag (and action) has to be longer and the throat shorter.

Something else to consider.

-MR
Old 06-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

seating the bullets way out doesn't gain anything on a 7 wsm because there's plenty of case capacity. The shoulder is pushed forward futher than a 300wsm. I can easily fit a max charge of retumbo (bulky powder) under a 168 VLD, the base of which is seated slightly below the base of the shoulder. Even with that much encroachment into the case, the powder is still loose.

I do agree, you certainly don't want a long throat.

By the way, take a look at the shape of the follower on a model 70 WSM, next time you have a chance. Its got a complex shape. I'm not sure if "just any" follower would work....
Old 06-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

I have many 7mm's in different configurations. I would narrow it to two choices. 7 STW or one of the blown out '06 cases. The 7 STW is right there close to the 7mm ultramag with much better barrel life and cheaper to load for. The STW case is about where the 7mm max's out. You can get a little more velocity with larger cases but with many more problems.

The 7mm JRS, 280 AI, 7mm Gibbs, etc, off the '06 or 280 case will virtually match the 7mm remington. They do that with much less powder and much longer barrel life. They do not require a muzzle brake like the big magnums either. They are easy and very inexpensive to load for. The 7mm wsm also falls in with this group. I just never found a need for the 7mm rem mag because I can match it cheaper with more barrel life and if I want a big 7mm I use my 7mm-300wby or 7STW.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Bronze Member

Plain old 7mm RM is my fav. Easy to get supplies, lower recoil than the bigger 7s , & a stout load pushing a 180 VLD gets you that 1500#s of energy at 1000 yards. No brake needed. The other 7s that run similar velocities would be great choices as well.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Tossing out opinion here - not fighting. I own two 280 AIs and two 7mm Rem Mags. The recoil from my 7mm Rem Mags is very tolerable on pretty light rifles without muzzle brakes, and the additional velocity is in the 150 fps range with the higher BC bullets; substantial enough that I prefer the 7 Rem Mag for any shots on game exceeding 600-700 yds. Haven't shot out any barrels in these class cartridges yet in my use of them.

Long Time Long Ranger: Just a note to say I appreciate your posts, particularly the ones I've read covering your collection of 338 caliber rifles in some of the other threads.