Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

difference in 7 MMs ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: difference in 7 MMs ?????

I personally really like the 7mm Remington. Efficient, flat shooting, hard hitting. The only problem with it is that I no longer have one. IMO it is one of the most effective hunting rounds ever designed. In my books it is second only to the big .338's, and I say that only because in grizzly country I like more horsepower, and It never hurts to be overgunned.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

I hunted a lot of years with the 7 RM and it's a great round, but although I have never shotone, I would go with the 7 WSM. The WSM will probably give you more barrel life than the RM - I burned my RM out in about a 1000 rounds. My loads may have been a little warm. There is a debate as to which cartridge is better ballisitically, but from what I've been reading from 7 WSM shooters, I think the edge goes to the WSM. Also, with the arival of RL17, you may get a significant boost in velocity. I was able to increase velocities in my 300 WSM by 200 fps with RL17 (over H4350). Shooting a 180 bullet 3200 fps out of a 300 WSM, with 24" factory barrel, is quite an achievement. I imagine RL17 could show real good results in the 7 WSM also.

Which brings me to the next thought... The 300 WSM will reach as far as the 7 WSM with a little bigger bullet, which IMO, makes a diference when shooting elk at LR. It will likely have longer barrel life and you can get Norma brass in the 300 WSM.

One last thought... the 7mm Dakota is something to consider, but the brass and dies are going to cost a little extra $$$. However, the Dakota cartride is probably a case that RL17 would do well in and I would not be surprised if it pushed a bullet as fast as a 7 RUM and who knows... maybe faster? The 7 Dakota would also shoot a heavier 180 gr bullet and heavier much better than the WSM.

Some things to think about,

-MR
Old 06-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Great advice given so far by all. My recommendation would be to go with either the 7RM, 7WSm or the 300 RSAUM.
I shoot a 7STW now, but the 7RM or the 7WSM to 1000yards are just as capable with the 168gr Berger's. You might want to do the 7 WSM on a long action, so there is no COAL issues in the magwell with the 168gr Berger's.
I think the 300 RSAUM is a good candidate also. I like it over the 300WSM.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

7-300wsm would be my choice if I had it to do over again. I have a 7wsm 200 freebore long action designed for the longer high bc bullets. I like the idea of having the better brass available in the 7-300wsm. The long action with a center feed clip feeds flawlessly for the longer higher bc bullets, like trueblue stated before. I have a 1:8.6 Brux barrel that I use 168bergers. I am sure the 180's will do just as well, but I am building it's big brother(284 JAZZ) designed around wildcat's 200gr pills.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 06-05-2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

I have gotten some excellent points to consider. I am currently digging through my files for data on the SAUMs. Don't think I have ever reviewed data on those. The 300 sounds as if it is worth considering even though I started into this convinced I wanted a 7 MM. It is definitely not my intentions to have come up with an idea and then set about to find data to justify the idea. This is what makes your input so important. My mind is very open to all suggestions and I don't plan to rush into it. I have time. this is a very interesting process in which I can learn a lot. Thanks very much for all comments and input.

My son in law has a HS Precision 300 WM that he is madly in love with. I love to go to the range with him. It is so much fun when you are with someone who is excited and enthusiastic about their guns.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Crouch View Post
I have gotten some excellent points to consider. I am currently digging through my files for data on the SAUMs. Don't think I have ever reviewed data on those. The 300 sounds as if it is worth considering even though I started into this convinced I wanted a 7 MM. It is definitely not my intentions to have come up with an idea and then set about to find data to justify the idea. This is what makes your input so important. My mind is very open to all suggestions and I don't plan to rush into it. I have time. this is a very interesting process in which I can learn a lot. Thanks very much for all comments and input.

My son in law has a HS Precision 300 WM that he is madly in love with. I love to go to the range with him. It is so much fun when you are with someone who is excited and enthusiastic about their guns.
Some good reading on the 7mms: 7mm Cartridge Guide

I am building a 7WSM on a long action Detachable mag Savage action a little bit at a time here. It will probably be the end of 2009 before it is shooting.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQguy View Post
Personally,I would narow it down between the 7mmRem mag,and the 7mmWSM.I would give the nod to the 7mmWSM,because it is not a belted case.I know a belted case is not that big of a deal,but since they are nearly identical balistically,I would just go with the 7mmWSM.just my $.02
BTW,I shoot a 7MMwsm and would not trade it for anything,great balistics,and very efficient as far as powder consumption goes.I shoot alot,so efficiency is important to me.
I once owned a 7mm remington magnum in a 700 ADL. The belts used to give me fits, feeding through the action. If I ever get one belt behind the belt of the cartridge below it, it caused a double feed and a jam, then when the bolt was retracted, the top round would eject! Not fun in a hunting situation.

I sold it for less than I care to mention.

Now I've got a re-built 7wsm and its fantastic. Certainly the 26" barrel is appropriate - I can meet and slightly exceed the loading data in my nosler and hornady manuals.

The winchester WSM action is actually a "medium" action. Longer than the model 70 short action, not quite as long as their "long" action. Its a wonderful marketing scheme they came up with - hype up the SHORT ACTION cartridge, but then sell rifles with a longer action!

With a properly throated barrel, OAL is a non-issue (the factory barrel was throated too long). I had the 70 ultimate shadow which was a problem because of the pencil barrel longer throat and the flexy stock. Plus, it fouled like mad! Maybe the "classic" is better off the shelf.

Now my wsm action wears a bedded "classic" stock and a Pac-Nor barrel, with a timney trigger - completely different gun!

By the way, if you don't mind getting creative, the 7-300wsm is probably a better choice with Norma brass and a longer neck.