Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Dialing or Hold Over?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Dialing or Hold Over?????

There is no way I can hold off with 1/4 moa precision with any consistency out at 600 or 700 yards or longer so I prefer the turrets. I have made some very long shots with the NPR-2 reticle and mildot hold-overs but only when the distance fitted the calibrations (Eg. 16 moa of drop required, the NPR-2 does that nicely). I add a few clicks as required sometimes but usually have to click the entire drop and wind.

The guys are correct, you must shoot and keep good records. That provides confidence and that makes for clean kills.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

This thread has been a good read. I pretty much assumed that 95% of LR shooters/hunters dialed in their long shots. I can definitely see the pros and cons of both. I guess my approach will be to dial in if time allows it and practice my holdover if needed for a quicker shot. If I don't dial it in, then why did I get a NF??? :confused: LOL

A lot of good info and perspective here, thanks for the good discussion guys.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ian,

As you well know, I respect your experience and opinions as much as anyone in the industry just as everyone else on here and all around the shooting industry does.

That said, I find it a bit strange to hear you say you can not hold within 1/4 moa using a reticle for holdover. In my opinion, you simply have not been using the right reticle for this.

I garantee you could set up on a NF NP-R1 reticle set on 22x and easily be able to hold so close to 1/4 moa on your hold you would never be able to tell the difference on target. As you well know, the NP-R1 has 1 moa between each hash. at 1000 yards, thats roughly 10". we will keep it simple for my sake. You can bracket a milk jug between two hash marks.

Its easy to hold 1/2 moa by splitting the distance between the two in half and its easy to cut that in half and hold for a 1/4 moa adjustment as well.

With the right reticle, I think you would be amazed at what you can as far as precise hold, its simply a matter of getting used to it and making the visual adjustments in the sight picture instead of on the turrets and remember we are only talking about 1 moa worth of adjustments.

I have shot with many shooters that simply could not shoot well with a ballistic reticle or so they said but when they tried to hit a field target such as steel or milk jug full of water or big game animal, using this method, they hit what they need to with plenty of precision to get the job done. I think that is my point.

Certainly for all around use in all conditions, the dial up method is more "Precise". BUT, in real world shooting or big game hunting other then perhaps BR comp, you have more then enough precision to get the job done using a ballistic reticle.

It all comes back to what your comfortable and confident with, in the end, thats the important thing, use what you like and what works for you but both ways will skin the cat!!! I am sure you would agree.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Great old thread, deserves a bump.

Does the advent of the Nikon BDC and Spot On program change any of the thoughts here? Especially since it can be had on the Iphone and other such devices? Any thoughts on this set up in general?