Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Dial-up warning several MB of photos - Namibia hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 11:41 PM

Dial-up warning several MB of photos - Namibia hunt

Guys

I am back from my Namibia hunting trip. This was my first time in that country, but not my first time in Africa. I took my 9.3 x 64 and 308 Baer on this trip. Once on the hunt, all shots were taken with the Baer. The country was everything I expected with most shots presenting themselves at over 250 yards. These photos are about half the animals taken. The hunt was a "cull hunt", so the trophy quality varied but Johan, the PH was committed to getting at least one good animal of each species. For some reason, the longer shots tended to be smaller animals, but there were some very nice animals on the properties we hunted and some great trophies were taken this trip:

Hunters accommodation

Gemsbok in the distance

First animal of the hunt - gemsbok at 340 yards

Trophy gemsbok taken at 350 yards

Springbok taken at 375 yards

Springbok taken at 435 yards

Springbok taken at 518 yards

Trophy steinbok.

Recovered 180gn Accubond bullets - weights left to right 111gn, 109gn and 123gn

Typical Namibian Kalahari countryside

Sunset in Namibia
Old 06-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Dial-up warning several MB of photos - Namibia hunt

Wonderful! This just makes me want to go that much more! That had to be a great trip! Seeing these photos reminds me of a question I haven't asked. I know that the accommodations can be very reasonable but I've always wondered about the trophy fees. Can anyone explain how this works? And what about tags? Thanks for posting! It kinda warms my heart to see another lefty make good on an excellent hunt!
Old 06-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Bronze Member

Great Pictures...Thanks for sharing them [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

HBB
Old 06-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Silver Member

Those were some nice pictures and animals!! Thanks for taking the time to share!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Fergus,
I may have been in Namibia about the same time you were ( June 1st to 12th). We hunted north of you and were in rolling hills (they called them mountains) that were very heavily covered with thorn bushes and trees. No long shots where we hunted, although we did hunt springbuck in a desert complex called the Namib desert. Out in the desert our shots were just under 300, could have shot longer but did not have any drop data for the cartridge I was shooting (.30 T/C).

Beautiful images, congratulations on taking some fine trophies. If I returned I would much prefer hunting in open, sandy country like that. We got pounded by the rocky trails, very hard on our backs in particular. Most of our shooting was close, under 50 yards because the bush was so thick. We hunted waterholes a lot as well as driving and spot and stalks.

Did your guides show you the human face on the left testicle of the springbuck? Absolutely amazing, I never would have believed it if I did not see it.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:44 AM
PUBLISHER

Very nice pictures, Fergus. Thanks for posting.

I had heard that Namibia is the place to be for long rangers. I see from Ian's experience that's not the case absolutely everywhere in the country.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I know that the accommodations can be very reasonable but I've always wondered about the trophy fees. Can anyone explain how this works? And what about tags?

[/ QUOTE ]

This answer depends a bit on the country, so will be a bit generic. Usually you will pay a daily rate which includes all accommodation, guiding, meals, etc costs - pretty much everything except the trophies. Then there is a trophy fee which is set on a supply-and-demand type basis and paid per animal shot. In many countries, there are no "tags" and the
property owner / professional hunter makes all the decisions about what animals are shot.

The exception is when hunting is undertaken on a government concession which is leased to an outfitter. Then the government sets quotas and issues licences. Governments may also mandate how many days must be booked to hunt a given species.

This all sounds complicated, but is pretty straight forward in practice. Give it a try, its great fun. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]