Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Device to run ballistic program

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Bronze Member

Device to run ballistic program

I need a hand held device to download my software from my PC, so I can use the program in the field. Not sure which way to go. I'm using Sierra's Infinity. Some folks I see, have picked up Axim's off of E-Bay? I need it only for this application only, without all the bells and whistles of GPS, etc.
Thanks, Gary
Old 06-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Device to run ballistic program

cheapest solution is to get the Ipod touch and then download a ballistic program that they have. I have no experience with it but the reviews are good on it from here. The problem with anyof those things is they take time to input all figures and I can't see anything on them when there is a glare out.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

My htc smartphone runs exbal flawlessly! I like them, the htc's run windows programs so it allakes sense to me
Old 06-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

So we are talking about smart phones here. I have resisted the urge to get one, simply because I don't need all it's capabilities, along with the larger dimensions, compared to my "flip phone"that carries nicely in my pants pocket. But alas,
I may have to go down that road. I'm with Verizon, and I reckon the "Droid" will do the same thing?
I would need to find out if the "Droid" will handle Windows?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

The [I]pod touch isnt a smart phone just a ipod with wifi capabilities, I have one and downloaded the ballistic program for 20 bucks and love it, just waiting to be able to get the iphone here so I can use the program to its fullest potential
Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

I'd just pick up a Dell Axim of flee-bay and shoot the program you already got!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

I was in the same boat you are in. I bought an Axim X51v off e-bay for $122. The only sign of wear was very light scuff on the battery hatch. I also picked up the big battery and it came with an extended battery hatch, problem solved. The big battery lasts a very long time, I bet much longer than any phone. I would not go with a phone to run your program because if you loose it, or it decides to not work, you are S.O.L. On the advise of Mr Carlock, I also picked up a Pelican case for my Axim for max protection. Then again, Marines aren't known for being gentle with gear so the phone might work for you.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM