Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Designing a rifle, need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Designing a rifle, need help!

Thats better.

The pic of the three rounds is of a 338 RUM flanked by two rounds of 338 Kahn loaded with the 300 gr SMK.

Sorry for the trouble, I think I got it figured out.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Bigrich,

I would go with a 1-9 if you go with the 30-378 for extreme range shooting with the 240-250 gr VLD and ULD bullets.

In the 338 go with a 1-10 for anything up to the 300 gr VLD and ULD bullets.

Wildcat Bullets will be offering a 350 gr .338" ULD here soon. If you want to shoot that one better get a long throat and a 1-9 twist.

I will be testing them in my 1-10 Kahn and I will let you know if they land on point or not.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Silver Member

Mr. Allen,

I don't want to get this topic off thread but just have to ask, are you eliminating the action screws then to get the action to free float and relying on the three bedding block bolts?

Thank you.

Jim
Old 12-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Waltech Jim,

Yes.

The only thing on the barreled action and the stock tha tcontact each other is teh V-Block contact points that run down each side of the 10" V-Block and of course the three 1/4-28 bolts that hold the barreled action securely into the V-Block.

That is not entirely true, the Recoil lug touches its reenforced baring surface as well but the entire action and barrel in fornt of the V-Block is totally free floated. There is about 0.040" clearance around the action and the stock.

I will take some detailed pics and post them to show you the design a little better.

The length of the V-Block depends on the weight of the barrel used and the number of mounting bolts is dependent on the weight as well and length of the block.

In all honesty, a single mounting bolt inthe center of the V-Block will securely hole the barreled action in place but with this heavy of a rifle, I prefer using three.

I will post some pics of a smaller caliber V-Block rifle I just finished for a customer using a Holland Signature Laminated Stock and a 7" V-Block.

The action screws for the stock that you will see are "dumby" screws. They are just there for show and to look good, if oyuwill.

I will post some detail pics here soon.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Big

You might want to read what Dan Lilja writes on putting the 378 case on a Remington action.

He probably has more experience with LR shooting, gun and actions and done more testing than anyone else around.
http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles...700_action.htm

BH
Old 12-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

The name of the gunsmith is Brett Hatch.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

bigrich954rr,
ignore this if you have thought it through already as I do not know the purpose of the rifle you are building but unless you are planning on taking an elk at a mile and need the energy, the 300gr .338 is not needed. There are smaller calibers that can match the trajectory if not come awfully close with a lot less recoil. My feelings when shooting long range...... and short range come to think of it. Is that shot placement means more than energy. I have tracked white tails that ran for miles to never be seen again that have been hit with a .300 win. but my .308 and .44 leaver action have never let one run more than 100 yards before it dropped dead.

O.k, I'm not a fan of the .338. I have nothing against them for others but feel that 80-90% that own one, own it for bragging rights and could do just as good with something smaller. Don't get me wrong,If I ever plan to shoot an elk at
1 mile the .338 would be my caliber of choice.
So here's the way I'm thinking
7mmrum
32" Bruton 5C barrel 1-9 twist
175MK or custom bullet in a similar weight.

this is the performance you could expect
33-3400fps
at 1500yds. aproxx 1,000 ft.lbs. of energy.
and approx. 34 moa's of drop from 100yd zero.
time of flight approx. 2 seconds.
with aprox. 1.28 lb seconds of momentum.
still supersonic at 2,200 yds!
also this round would be better suited for the Remington 700 action versus a .338/.378
just my .02
308nate

Kirby, that's a sweeet lookin' rifle!
curious to see pix on the v-block system
how do you like the super sniper? been thinking about trying one.I assume that's what the scope is? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

P.S I have nothing against bragging rights either [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]