Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Desert shooting in AZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Desert shooting in AZ

Yea unfortunately there isn't as much as you would think..I have been thinking about going out and trying to find some long range target spots out in the desert sometime this summer myself.

I love Ben Avery for sporting clays shooting and anything shotgun related, but the main range is pretty blah, since your only shooting from a bench and the furthest you can shoot is 200 yards. Not to mention, while I have never had trouble out there, quite a few of the range masters are complete a-holes. I have seen them bug a couple of army and marine veterans or current service men practicing some techniques that were perfectly safe and get a mouth full from the range masters just because it "isn't how they do things around here". Many other stories other than that as well.

I have seen videos of Cowtown's long range shooting ranges and that place seems awesome. It is also only about 25 minutes from me, but I think you have to be a member or you have to pay a good amount to reserve the range for a group of people.

Short story: I would love to find some good long range target shooting spots myself (at least here in the Valley).
Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

You are not target shooting. You are carrying a valid AZ hunting license and "hunting" coyotes. You are allowed hunting access to much state trust land. This is his we legally shoot.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
You are not target shooting. You are carrying a valid AZ hunting license and "hunting" coyotes. You are allowed hunting access to much state trust land. This is his we legally shoot.
?? Wait what...
Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Yea unfortunately there isn't as much as you would think..I have been thinking about going out and trying to find some long range target spots out in the desert sometime this summer myself.

I love Ben Avery for sporting clays shooting and anything shotgun related, but the main range is pretty blah, since your only shooting from a bench and the furthest you can shoot is 200 yards. Not to mention, while I have never had trouble out there, quite a few of the range masters are complete a-holes. I have seen them bug a couple of army and marine veterans or current service men practicing some techniques that were perfectly safe and get a mouth full from the range masters just because it "isn't how they do things around here". Many other stories other than that as well.

I have seen videos of Cowtown's long range shooting ranges and that place seems awesome. It is also only about 25 minutes from me, but I think you have to be a member or you have to pay a good amount to reserve the range for a group of people.

Short story: I would love to find some good long range target shooting spots myself (at least here in the Valley).
I am currently working on the start of Cowtown long range. Currently Cowtown is a private gun range not open to the public. It will never be a public walk up and shoot range. I and two others have been laying out a new division for Cowtown to allow long range shooting clubs access. Were in the early stages of bylaws and fee structures but you should be seeing everything laid out and the first event around Oct. 2014. The first public announcement was made yesterday on CowTown's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/CowtownRange

We are very excited to be involved with CowTown in creating the absolute best long range shooting facility around.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:59 AM
Gold Member

Phoenix residents tend to be more active outdoors and that puts a lot of pressure on the natural land resources. As shooters, we tend to be outnumbered by other recreationalists that aren't comfortable around guns and gunfire.

The desert north of Scottsdale used to be a great place to shoot, but there were too many hikers, mountain bikers, horesemen, motorcyclists, nature lovers, tourists, etc. complaining about the 'random' gunfire. Scottsdale solved the problem by annexing all the land north, right up to the Tonto NF. Since the land was now within Scottsdale city limits, existing laws prevailed such as no discharge of firearms. Pretty clever, right?

Even some BLM land (such as Table Top Mesa) has been posted as 'no shooting' due to high recreational use.

But there are still some good, safe places to go shoot. You just have to go a little further to get off the beaten path. Take a look at this thread on LRH from a couple years back:

Where to shoot in AZ?

Good luck.