Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Desert shooting in AZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 01:58 AM

Desert shooting in AZ

My understanding in the rural Scottsdale area you can shoot unless posted closed. I have family that lives there, I live in MN. We tried to find a good SAFE area to shoot 400-1000 yards but could not really come up with any nice spots. Are the shooting spots kinda like fishing spots, can't tell you it's a secret... Are there some well know safe spots to shoot that type of distance ? I only have one steel target down there, kinda a pain to hike it in, but would prefer to only have to hike in the target or shooting gear not both. That could take a couple trips. I have shot long range practice at Ben Avery with the Dersert Sharp Shooters, but I like the idea of actual desert shooting. Also there are no practices for the second week in June.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Happy to shoot with other members if you have the time.
Thanks
Troy
Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

Re: Desert shooting in AZ

Troy, finding a desert spot is tricky. You need a map of city boundaries for all cities in the Scottsdale area. There are many cases where shooters have been either cited or warned for shooting within the city limits which is a code violation in all cities in the valley of the sun. Many times hikers and unseen homeowners will turn you in. If you are shooting in June just drive north to cooler areas and find a good spot there. Winter you must watch city limits closely. I had a 1000+ yard spot for 20 years until the city of Goodyear annexed all the area for another 12 miles. We were not cited but the Officer was not too polite either. We are driving an extra 15 miles to get to our new spot. Good luck
Old 05-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Bronze Member

You have to be outside of the city limits and know what type of public land you are on.

State Trust Land doesn't allow target shooting

BLM & Forest Service ... Allows target shooting is allowed, but we currently have fire restrictions in place, which means no target shooting.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Bronze Member

It is tough to find a nice spot in the Phoenix area...I have yet to find a spot good for longer range (300+ yards)...Flagstaff is a different story.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:23 PM

I just checked the Tonto national forest info, and looks like the fire ban is on until Aug. So that means no shooting, right?
We are up by Rio Verde, so Flagstaff is not too far. Anything half way up?
I use a topo map to see what type of land we are on, I thought I even had an app that tells you .
Old 05-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Bronze Member

No target shooting until the monsoons come usually by mid to late july before they lift the ban.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Troy, there is a 300 yard range a couple miles south of Payson run by the local gun club. I was there as a guest of a member and it is a nice range. Also a lot cooler than Rio Verde in June.