close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

delemma...what 338 chambered rifle to start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Bronze Member

Re: delemma...what 338 chambered rifle to start with?

no, I haven't picked up a 338 yet. It will probably be sometime late spring/summer. just researching what is available. so far it is between:
338 Ultra mag Sendero
338-378 weatherby Accumark
338 lapua AR30

tough decision. the sendero would cost me a little more because I would want to change the stock to a McMillan and add a muzzle brake.
the weatherby is a great cartridge, and all I would have to do is change the stock. the AR30 is ready to go as is. and I really like the looks of the AR30. Just read an article in the Special Weapons for Military and Police about the AR30 and the Blazer M93. I am more hooked on the AR30 at this point.

does anyone know if the muzzle brake of the AR30 is removable? If used for hunting at not so far distances that brake would make ear plugs necessary (I think, never heard it)

so...I am still undecided. don't you just hate decisions like this.

as for availablility, I have seen a few on Guns America. I am assuming that those are still available.

I even start to wonder if I should go with something in the 300 ultra mag instead of the big 338's. I just need someone to talk me into something.

Unread 01-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Bronze Member

Dr. John,

Everyone needs a long range 30Cal...its one of the most versatile tools a shooter can own.

Your delima, if you do not have a long range 30Cal, I would say this is were you should start. Before you go to the 338.
Unread 01-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Bronze Member

I never got to meet Herb, but listening to these stories, he sounds like an old kook, that I would have loved to get to know.

As an aside talking about Ray R. he seems to me like a guy who worked as a machinist all his life, and then developed a gun bug. So him knowing about sear strength would be doubtful, I think he told my friends, when the floor plate blows open, now you know your getting close.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Unread 01-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Bronze Member

Lemay,

This is strickly my Opinion...With a 30 Cal, you have the choice of bullets from 110grn-240grns...That is versatile, with some recoil.

Now the 338 has bullets from 180-300, it is versatile, but alot of people have not built up the tolerance for the heavier recoil of a 338.

When you start, there is a whole lot to learn, learning takes practice/ammo regardless if you reload or not, 30Cal ammo is less expensive to shoot that 338 cal ammo.

Anyway, I am no expert, but for someone new to this, I think they should learn the basics before going to the larger Cals.
Unread 01-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Bronze Member

xring01,
don't worry. I have shot quite a bit with high recoiling rifles. my current main rifle is a custom 458 win mag which is able to put 3 shots in a 3/8 in cluster at 100 yards while on the bench....no muzzle brake. there is a recent post of 458 target...that is mine. so recoil is really not a factor. I don't enjoy getting pounded but I can handle it. a 338 with a brake would be a pussycat compared to my 458. I just hear that the 338 bucks the wind better.
Unread 01-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

I have two Weatherby Accumarks in 338-378 weatherby.One rifle has shot 1/4" group with 250 gr Noslers with 110 grs of reloader 25 at 100 yards.I love those guns,best buy I have ever gotten.I found brass for about $1.25 by looking around.It weighs about 9.25 punds with a 6.5x20 Nikon ,sling,ammo and canes gun chaps on it.It is a joy to shoot kicks more like 270 to me with break on.You do have to clean them every 50-60 shots and I wear muffs and plugs target shooting.I carry ear plugs to hunt with.I got both for $1000 each by looking around.The brass last forever.I loaded one 17 times before I chickened out.It is the best factory made long range hunting rifle I have found.I can carry it cause its not too heavy and the stock is not too wide like Sendero .It has done way beyond what I thought it would do.Once you get rifle and some brass other coat are not that much.I looded at Sendero 338 ultra mag but it was heavier and stock didnt feel as good as Weatherby Accumark.
Unread 01-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Hello Don't kick

Yes, Herb was a character and I do mean a character.

As per Ray Romain who stopped by today to vist for a few hours,
He was a machinist for many years and during that time he was a gunsmith in West Virginia where he had a large gun shop to. He moved to PA and continued as a Machinist at a large company until he retired and was and still is a gunsmith at his shop at home.

He has learned many tricks over the years and will tell it to you straight on with no BS.
He has built many fine rifles and also shoots at Williamsport from time to time.

There are procedures he "won't" do and many are to protect him from any legal action. He will tell you if your wasting your money or not. Many procedures he won't do and is to your benifit.

Anyway, you missed a real character in Herb Miller.

Later
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]