Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

delemma...what 338 chambered rifle to start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Bronze Member

delemma...what 338 chambered rifle to start with?

I WAS looking to pick up a Sendero 338 ultra mag and eventually build on it. I have been reading alot lately (maybe I should stop reading)and became interested in the Armalite AR30 in 338 lapua and the Weatherby Accumark "sub-minute" in 338-378. the sendero seems like a good point to start with and eventually add a mcmillan stock, brake, and as it wears out, a new longer/heavier barrel. but the armalite is already pretty much built up. and the 338-378 weatherby is the king of the hill, someday put on a heavier barrel. what to do? I will be shooting the heavy sierra match king 300grain bullet. long range 600-1000+ target and some hunting (deer,moose)once I am proficient. what would you do?
Old 01-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

Re: delemma...what 338 chambered rifle to start with?

Pick up the Sendero, start with it and then you can rebarrel in anything, including 338 Lapua.
Chris
Old 01-05-2004, 01:00 AM
Bronze Member

That was my delema, I went with the Sendero. Beautiful rifle by the way, 338-378 Wby may be king of the 338's but the Sendero I have will hang with the best of them. Plus I can by factory ammo if I have to. I like the idea that I have alternatives to ammo selection. I love my Sendero in the 338 RUM!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2004, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

Either one. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 700 has unlimited options, so what your ultimate goal is with it should be a good guide.

If you really like the AR30 and it's what you want just the way it is, it would certainly be a good choice. It's very well built, has a 5rd drop magazine, floating bolthead, very accurate, my Dads clean super easy, comfortable to shoot, adjustable trigger, large recoil lug and other nice things. It's definitely worth the money if it's near what you want the way it is.

Downfall is, possibly, the magazine will not fit anything with a shoulder longer than 338 Ultra Mag, a 300 Ultra won't fit in it, neither will the longer Weatherby cases. Single shot would have to do, just so you know now. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Then again, the 700 won't fit the big Weatherby cases unless bullets are seated way deeper than optimal.

What I would consider if it were me:

1) What stock do I like better?

2) What does a 5rd drop magazing mean to me?

3) Ultimate goal with the rifle?

4) How much do I want a stainless steel rifle, or chro-mo steel?

5) Brass cost, and ready to reload for it?

6) Do I like Remington brass, it is cheaper?

7) One has a muzzle break, the other is an extra cost?

8) One leaves me money for scope base, rings, bullets, brass and powder, immediate rerbarrel and or rechamber to what I want before I lay out cash for dies and brass?

10) Do I plan on rebarreling and chambering in a custom right away?

11) Anything Else? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck, should be an easy decision. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Go with the sendero and never look back
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:22 PM

Dr.John....
Don't stop reading because you can never know to much!!I have both rifles and I think you have to look at what you really want to do with it.The Remington Sendero is an excellent rifle and will do pretty much what you want but it will never have what the Weatherby has.There are alot of after market parts for the Remington and just as many gunsmiths to install them.If your really looking for Weatherby power go with the Accumark and it will everything you expected and more!!Brass is cheaper for the Ultra, but I think it is a small price to pay for what the 338-378 has to offer.I know some people chamber their Remingtons for the big cartridges but it is not a safe chambering in that action.The Remington action was never made to handle those rounds!!!I don't care what people tell you,you're asking for trouble and trouble will find you!!!So if the Remington fits your needs for now,get it.You could always have it rechambered to a 338/300 ULTRA or Tomahawk or whatever they call it and get more power if you think you need it.If you want to start at the top,go with the Accumark and don't look down because nothing under it comes close.Well thats all have to say,it's really about what you want.Good luck with your decision.Which ever one you choose,it won't be a bad choise.

[ 01-05-2004: Message edited by: 338thunder ]
Old 01-06-2004, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

338thunder,
The Remington action was never made to handle those rounds!!!
Why, did you know Remington chambered one in a 338 Lapua sniper rifle at one time? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You know Sierra uses the Savage in 338 Lapua?

One more, can you point me to one that has every failed?

Lug strength is rated at 36,000 lbs force, the BIG Weatherby or Lapua case at 70k psi produces... 15,000 [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The safety margin is STILL over double.

I never have liked Weatherby's, wouldn't own one. Love his cartridges tho. I've got a 416 WBY, but it's a Ruger Magnum. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My brothers 338/378 WBY - Rem 700 32" Pac-Nor Holland brake, Tubb lug, CUS stock

The load: 300gr SMK 118gr H870 at 4.1" OAL

[ 01-06-2004: Message edited by: Brent ]