Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

defiance, stiller, or Bat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Bronze Member

Re: defiance, stiller, or Bat?

I have a defiance in a 338LMAI and love it.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:36 AM
Silver Member

I have a 7mm /338 Norma on a Defiance with a proof research barrel in the works.

Love defiance. They can do the Norma on a standard action. But you have to watch the over all length.

I have a switch barrel rig on a Snowy Mountain action. Could use a police 338 Laupa from Remington.

Fun Fun Fun ! !

GOD Bless
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

OP....I've had all three mentioned in your thread plus a Badger M2008. I just, this evening, picked up my Defiance Deviant. As far as smoothness, It boils down to the BAT and the Defiance. It is a coin flip. They feel the same to me. I like the Defiance finish more than the BAT. Overall, between Defiance, Badger, and BAT, I am going to say the Defiance. Solely due to integral rail and recoil lug. The Stiller is a great action, but I like the cosmetics and feel of the other actions I mentioned. Either way you can't and won't go wrong with any top shelf actions out there. My next one will be a Barnard. Not that it is better, it is just that I haven't had one yet.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

I do only work on Weatherby actions for long range shooting. I had a past customer come in and wanted me to build a long range hunting rifle on a custom action of my recommendation. I truly believed that there was not a better action for hunting and precision than the Weatherby. He had another smith and company build one on a "GILKES" action. All I can say is WOW! I have had several, Defiance, Stillers, Nesika, Stolle, Etc in my arms and down range and a "BUILT" Weatherby can compete with all of them. The Gilkes on the other hand is truly a work of art that will never be beat. The trigger, lock time, strength, everything is superior to anything I have ever seen or shot. I do not work on precision firearms for profit and do not care for any more business than I already have. Point being made this is a truly educated unbiased opinion. I am not out to sell these or make money off of this. I DO NOT WORK ON THESE. They are truly the best! I myself am thinking of having one built for me in 7mm Rem for the 180 Sierra or Berger. My customer/ friend shot it at my range today and at 300 yds it shot a .211 group. I am still totally astonished. 6mm Br with Varget.. Check out the GILKES action if your truly interested in a custom rifle..
Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

I have 3 stillers going together for a friend now, they are a real value I feel. They come with a pinned lug included as well as a pinned rail also included, the side bolt release and the M-16 extractor. Nice action with a great value there.

My 300 win will shoot with the best of the hunting rigs. It is on a Defiance Rebel. Very very nice action, awesome fit and a finish that belongs in a jewelry store. I have to say it is as nice of an action as I have ever used enough to draw a conclusion on.

My new LRKM is on a Bat. I see the Bat as tough!! This is what I would pick for large magnum builds where pressing the envelope could be possible.

I have built several customs off of the Weatherby Mark V 9 lugs. I like them for the fat cases like a Lapua as they will feel them with no real modifications to speak of. But the draw back on them is the 378 based extractor is a very weak design. Plan on having a few spares in the tool box, it will break especially if you load it up to max. I have changed many of these even on the factory 30-378 and 338-378 rifles. This was the area Wby failed on this action. The smaller bolt face Mark V's use the same design extractor but it has room for a little more meat on it and is stronger. Have only seen one or two of these ever break.

So if I were you, I would look at the Stiller Predator or Tac 30 and the Defiance. The defiance has a little more quality and definitely prettier and you pay a bit more for it. As for accuracy they will both shoot if the time is taken to fit them well to your chamber. So it boils down to looks and price on these two.

Jeff
Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 AM
Gold Member

I have a BAT HR on a 13.5lb 7 mag LR rifle, and a Stiller Predator on a light weight .270 WSM. Each action seems well proportioned for the rifle built on it. I have not used a Defiance... yet, but they do have a great reputation.
When I was researching the LR rifle, the 'smith I selected opined that he felt the BAT was the best action available, so I went with it.
Bottom line is, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

Thanks to everyone for their quick and informative responses! Im going with the deviant after speaking with defiance.e
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen