Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

defiance, stiller, or Bat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: defiance, stiller, or Bat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
Now I thought the whole point of the .338 norma was to have lapua perfomance in a standard action. If I wanted a longer action id probably just go with a lapua. Alottaaaa guys (including mr. Sloan" has built a .338 norma on a standard long action with an opened magnum bolt face. If I didn't have to blueprint a remmy action id probably use the one I have. That and I don't own a custom action and I think it would be a nice change
I'm not talking about the length of the action. I'm talking about the bolt body, lugs and strength of the reciever. The .588 bolt face will have more bolt thrust than the standard mag bolt face.

A lot of guys have built Lapua's and Norma's on standard factory actions but some smiths don't really like to and some flat out won't.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

I have a 338 Norma on a customized 700 action and I love it. I like all three actions you are looking at so can't help you there but I think I'd go with a Bat action. Only because I've always wanted one.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Silver Member

I was asking this similar question for my last build and my gunsmith advised me to steer clear of the Stiller action because he had seen too many that needed work; and that for hunting purposes the BAT had the potential to lock up after getting grit into it. His recommendations for me and what I would use the rifle for was to go with a Defiance or Surgeon. And since I've already got a Surgeon I went with the Defiance.....and I like it alot, maybe better than my Surgeon action.

Of all of the ones you are considering I think the shortest wait would also be the Defiance.

Just my two cents.

John
Old 06-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

For all the reasons said above, another vote for the defiance. I have a 338 AI on one.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Seems like defiance is the answer for me. Thanks guys
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade_Sherpa View Post
I was asking this similar question for my last build and my gunsmith advised me to steer clear of the Stiller action because he had seen too many that needed work; and that for hunting purposes the BAT had the potential to lock up after getting grit into it. His recommendations for me and what I would use the rifle for was to go with a Defiance or Surgeon. And since I've already got a Surgeon I went with the Defiance.....and I like it alot, maybe better than my Surgeon action.

Of all of the ones you are considering I think the shortest wait would also be the Defiance.

Just my two cents.

John
I heard same thing from a friend that had a Stiller. I was advised by 2 smiths not to do a lapua on a mark V action and advised Defiance. I have 2 -338 NM built on them and love them. Their shop is across the street from me so I get to see the goodies
Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

My 2 cents. Barnard probably makes the best action as far as squarness and normally don't need any work but there ugly so if it was me I would go defiance. Just my opinion