Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

defiance, stiller, or Bat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

defiance, stiller, or Bat?

I need an action to start my first 100% custom build. I cant spend more than 1200$ for the action but i have heard very good (while some bad) about all three of these actions. Which do u guys use and why? Plan on this one to be a 300 norma, so big bolt face but no lapua size action. Thanks!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: defiance, stiller, or Bat?

The 300 Norma Mag has the same bolt face as the Lapua and so it will also have the same bolt thrust. So I would think you want just as beefy an action as for the Lapua.

If and when I do a full custom build, my first choice would be a Defiance Mutant because of its integral recoil lug. The Deviant also has a integral 20 MOA picatinny rail but I prefer a 40 MOA rail.

I think all three action makers you are considering are well proven to be top notch action makers. I would say pick the one with the features you like best.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Gold Member

I am at the same point and have narrowed my options to Stller predator or the Defiance Rebel. I am building a 300 win.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

I'd look close at the Barnard...you get a match trigger with theirs, at a reasonable price.

Custom Actions

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
I am at the same point and have narrowed my options to Stller predator or the Defiance Rebel. I am building a 300 win.
Now that you're down to 2..comes the easy part...flip a coin!!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The 300 Norma Mag has the same bolt face as the Lapua and so it will also have the same bolt thrust. So I would think you want just as beefy an action as for the Lapua.

If and when I do a full custom build, my first choice would be a Defiance Mutant because of its integral recoil lug. The Deviant also has a integral 20 MOA picatinny rail but I prefer a 40 MOA rail.

I think all three action makers you are considering are well proven to be top notch action makers. I would say pick the one with the features you like best.
Now I thought the whole point of the .338 norma was to have lapua perfomance in a standard action. If I wanted a longer action id probably just go with a lapua. Alottaaaa guys (including mr. Sloan" has built a .338 norma on a standard long action with an opened magnum bolt face. If I didn't have to blueprint a remmy action id probably use the one I have. That and I don't own a custom action and I think it would be a nice change
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 06-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Gold Member

I'm pretty sure the Defiance is the only one with a standard Remington 700 foot print. The stiller is 1.400" and longer and the BAT is bigger as well. I would go Defiance but 1200.00 probably isn't going to get you there unless it's used. I have a buddy with 2 of the Defiance actions in 500 A square and .500 Weatherby so I'm sure they will hold up to the .300 Norma.